Aftermarket heads

madcatter

Aftermarket heads

Post by madcatter »

i have a 60 FL but some nitwit sold off the heads and put shovels on it.not much of the bike is stock anymore but i would like to start to restore it back to somewhat of its older look. does any know where i can get a set of heads and also what else would be involved with the motor other than,carb intake,exhaust,rocker parts.would i need different tappets and blocks<any info would help
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Re: Aftermarket heads

Post by DuoDave »

The original heads are notorious for cracking, so maybe that's why the shovel heads were fitted. Rather than risk buying used original heads, you would be better buying new STD heads. They are available with Shovel intake and exhaust ports or the stock panhead type of ports. They are not cheap, but they are very good quality and have been improved over the original design.
kickstart
Inactive member
Bikes: 1957 pan
99 flht
96+91 SOFTAIL

Post by kickstart »

I am going to need a new set of heads for my EL.
I have looked a little at the STD heads. From what I see they seem to have the external oiler line ports tapped in. Obviously I don't want to use these.
How big a problem is this? Also, are there any other newly manufactured heads available for my old Pan?
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

STD gives you the choice of having the heads set up for outside oilers or not. If you don't want outside oilers, they won't be there. I asked for heads as near to original specs as possible. My heads for my 59 came with stock panhead inlet and exhaust ports and internal oil passages. Excellent! :)
V-Twin have replica pan heads in their catalogue, but I am sure that STD make these heads for V-Twin. If you go direct to STD you will get the same heads at a much lower price.
countershaft

Post by countershaft »

Madcatter
Im running a set of the STD heads on my Pan love em!and they do come either way plumber
style or o-ring looking into the intake port
they are a thing of beauty couldnt have done a better job of porting myself.Was really inpressed over the stock set ran like i had a fresh rebuild inside or outside oilers which ever way you want to go STD got my vote on these!!!Wasnt a big STD fan before have had a few of there cases in my shop was not impressed but I think they are building a much better product now later Countershaft
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
check this out.

mbskeam
kickstart
Inactive member
Bikes: 1957 pan
99 flht
96+91 SOFTAIL

Post by kickstart »

Thanks all for the information. So I emailed STD and their reply was yes, I could get them without outside oiler, but would need a Y style (shovel) manifold

I really want to keep a T manifold and run my Linkert.

Do you think I just got the wrong person at STD ? If so I'll call them tomorrow and insist on a "panhead" panhead.
kell

Post by kell »

madcatter
I have a set of 1950 heads. If you are in the New York City area you could even come look at them.
They were the original heads on my 1952 FL that I replaced with STD heads.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
Yes I think that you may need to talk to someone diff.
The heads I got from STD are made with the stock ports.
But I did buy them from a STD dealer .He said he had to pay 100.00 more than STD sells to Vtwin.
I think that is why they are saying that.If you dont have any luck let us know and I can get you more info.
mbskeam

Return to “Cylinderheads”