Cracks in my head!

rigid60
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Cracks in my head!

Post by rigid60 »

While cleaning up my heads, I observed 2 cracks starting at the plug hole and running toward the valve seats. They only appear to be surface cracks. Please, I need ya'lls sage advice. Tried to attach a pic, but the size is to big.
rigid60
Inactive member

Post by rigid60 »

Pix:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Are those valve seat inserts in there ? I had a crack in the same place on my 65 heads ( stock seats )along with one in a valve guide hole , I sent them to Head Hog to repair . I sent them in Sept. Of 07 and he just got to them last week , so if you do send them to him (probably on of the best around ) expect a wait.
rigid60
Inactive member

Post by rigid60 »

Yeah, looks to me like they might be pressed in seats. I should probably have that fixed as well.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Rigid 60

Those cracks are very common. I have four Pan heads and all are cracked the same way. Two of them have cracks to both valve seats. But I ran my “best” set for years (~15) no problems and only retired them when the valve seats got too pocketed. As this happened prior to Head Hog’s valve seat build up technique being available I replaced the old heads with STDs .

So if you had the original brass seats, I would say ride on but having the crack possibly relieving the press fit is a bit worrisome. Hopefully, someone with more experience with pressed in seats can give some guidance. But in the meantime I would contact Don at Head Hog to get his opinion on replacing the pressed ins and fixing the crack

Best of luck

King
mogman
Inactive member

Post by mogman »

How much does it cost to have the "masters" work over a set of heads?
Thanks
rigid60
Inactive member

Post by rigid60 »

sent an e-mail to Headhog, bu is was returned saying "undeliverable". Also called but have not recieved areply yet. I'm sure he's really busy. No clue what it will cost me, or how long it will take.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I have a copy of his charges , lets see if it will come up here

Head Hog Price List 2007

Cylinder head H.D. 1948-1965 (Panhead)

Valve seat overlay,& finished 3 angle seat.............$ 115.00 per seat
Install ,ream &,hone guide .....................................& 10.00 per guide
Lap new valve to seat .............................................$ 5.00 per seat

Parts list
Valves......................................................................$ 20.00 each
guides.......................................................................$ 11.00 each
(Part prices will vary due to manufacturer)
Repair to 3/16-24 pan cover threads.
Weld, machine surface, cosmetically finish
weld work & tap......................................................$ 15.00 each
Exhaust flange replaced..........................................$ 85.00 each
Plumber insert thread repaired................................$ 85.00 each
(threaded insert).......................................................$ 22.50 each
Machine head gasket surface...................................$ 30.00 each
Fin repair and all other cosmetic work is time & materials !!

Other services include..........................................
Engine case repair.
Belly of cases replaced etc.
Decking motor mounts.............................................$ 150.00 set
Transmission case repair
threads, studs and all other related.
Kicker cover bushing area repair
Kicker cover filler threads repaired.
Aluminum inner and outer primary covers,

For further information about our processes our website is
http://www.headhog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Or contact me personally at 330-948-9938/330-
592-2500. All work performed onsite by Don Sullivan
rigid60
Inactive member

Post by rigid60 »

Thanks for the price list. Sent him another e-mail, we will see.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Don repaired my 51 heads last winter. He put on new exhaust spigots, re worked the intake threads, installed new valves and guides as well as bead blasted to make 'em look new. I got them back in about 6 months. His work is great but takes a while..... Mike
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I talked to Don Sullivan from Head Hog today and I described the crack in your head as per the photo above . he said they are common in most Panheads and he has seen them run that way with no problems ( as said above ) ,but when you put the seat inserts in you run the chance of blowing part of the head out at the crack because material is no longer there to support the casting .Your call .
He also said he is close to having all the tooling necessary to change back inserted heads to original configuration . ( he said if he didn't have to work on my shit ,he might get some where , funny guy )
He is also looking for a OEM rear cylinder , not more than 0.020 over. I will put his request in the wanted ad section .
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

last time I spoke with Don the same topic came up and I asked "how would you secure the bronze seat in a nickel alloy replacement?" He said, "It's a secret". I'm guessing maybe drill several small holes around the circumference of the seat pocket before pouring the new bronze seat to give the seat something to grab onto. Mike
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

pop out the pressed in seat, then re cut a groove back up into the head. this will give a ledge that will keep the sprayed on seat (overlay)in place.????
this may not be the way, but in theory it would work.

mbskeam
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Well , he did explain it to me and it was some thing like you said mbskeam. He needed to get a special milling machine or some kind of attachment for the equipment he has ( I'm no machinist and am lost with the jargon ) he said it would be labor intensive and I can believe that . I would send my 52 heads in to have them put back to original , even though I have over 8K on them with no problems .( even the Plumbers intake system , Cotten )

Return to “Cylinderheads”