Pan cover gaskets replacement

03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Pan cover gaskets replacement

Post by 03Roadking »

Is it possible to take the bolts out and lift the pan enough to move them over and up so I can replace the gaskets

Hello
I have a leak in the front pan cover. It has been bugging me for months but with all the other threads I have posted with more important things I am finale getting to it
My question is I have a 62 engine in a 56 rigid at best I have 1/4 clearance on the front cover and 1/8 on the rear is it possible to take the bolts out and lift the pan enough to move them over and up so I can replace the gaskets
The guy I got it from was one of those rubber goop guys you know the one that pours it on thinking if a little is good than a lot is better I would have to have enough room to clean all of the crap out So has anyone tried this or am I pulling the engine
Thanks for your input
sleeper

Re: Pan cover gaskets replacement

Post by sleeper »

Not enuff room, (but try it) but don't pull the whole motor..
Just the head...
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Use the thick gaskets when you replace them. I saw some where ( might have been here )that some one made a rubber type gasket set for Pan covers and I think at the time they only came in red.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

I apologize for linking to another board, but I thought this would be relevent.

http://groups.msn.com/harleytechtalk/pa ... 0095112325

Hope it helps.
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

Panfreak and Fourthgear
Those are the ones I was going to use
Sleeper
Pull the heads Huh wouldn't of thunk it, sounds better your way My way was sounding like a lot of time and a tube of ben-gay
Do I need to replace the base gasket on the cylinder? or as long as I don't move it I should be OK?
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

As long as they are not leaking or you don't disturb them your base gaskets will be fine.
panfreak
Thats the ones I read about , cool , if I have to replace mine I will go to them. I thought they were working on black for those too.
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

Fourthgear
They do have them in black I just checked the web site
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Yep... like Roadking03 says the black are available and I think look much better. Getting the surfaces good and clean is the key. If your covers are not good and flat, they'll still leak. You might end up having to pull the heads to get everything square.

Good luck.

-Craig
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

Craig
They are steel I will check them closely I was reading the manuals last night and the Clymers said "Be careful with the pan cover screws because they strip easily" That I already knew but it said if you find one or two bad, replace with a 10/24 heila coil then it went on to say it's best if you replace them all saves time and you won't have to worry about them stripping again"
Do you guys think this IS a good idea
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

When I rebuilt my engine I did exactly that. I had 2 stripped holes on one head and 3 on the other. I had helicoils installed in all the holes. I didn't want to hassle with it anymore.

-Craig
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I know this thread is old!,But I just did my heads over & I got a JAMES----TOP--END KIT!, IT comes with the thick heavy black ones as well as the thin ones! & It came with 2-VITON, O-RING manifold seals!--The BROWN ones!---The kit cost me $27 & the head gaskets are the BLUE TEFLON ones!---& a new set of CORKS!+ some other stuff for the outside oiler heads-Linkert carb. gaskets to.Base gaskets (4) of them, Tin-TOP gaskets (4) of them. NOT a bad price for all the good stuff!---RICHIE 8)

Return to “Cylinderheads”