Damaged exhaust port repair

Yellowpan

Damaged exhaust port repair

Post by Yellowpan »

Hi!
Is there any other way to fix an damage exhaust port other then welding?
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Damaged exhaust port

Post by 57pan »

Hi Yellowpan,

Maybe you could describe the damage that you are trying to fix. Or, better yet, post some pics - we love pictures.
Yellowpan

Post by Yellowpan »

Hi again!
Ok I'l try to explain- the ports are there but they are thin If you understand what i mean, this means that the exhaust pipes not will "fit" properly to the ports, the pipes fit loosely.
Sorry for my "bad English"
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

cut strips 5/8(15mm) wide from a pop/beer can and wrap your port till the build up just lets it slip on, antisieze in the pipe end will let you get a tight build up. did this for a long time and it works, then make sure your clamps stay tight
and lock the pipes to a second mount to hold it all real steady,
fab work for this....

mbskeam
Yellowpan

Post by Yellowpan »

Hi!
Thank you Mr Mbskeam for your answer. I have thought of that Idea with some stips from a can, but I don't know how they will stay in place wile i'm building the "missing size" up? It would take more then one strip to "fill up the gap".
Yes- an second mount to the pipe will hold the pipe real steady,but were to place the second mount, any Idea or picture would be nice :) :) ;) ;)

Take care
headhog
Inactive member

Post by headhog »

the second mount is from the frame to the pipe...its a double clamp. Look in your parts book. And if all your effort fails go to http://www.headhog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a nice exhaust port repair.

The rear pipe doesn't have a secondary clamp setup just use plenty of high temp glue...ie devcon.
Yellowpan

Post by Yellowpan »

Hi!
Couldn't find the clamp(s) in my book, but i found one type of clamps in the W-Twin catalog, front pipe to frame clamp(65512-37A) and 65513-58(frame clamp) I guess that this is the type of clamps you mean.
I have never seen this 2 piece clamp set on any bike, but now I'm going to buy an set.
Take care.
headhog
Inactive member

Re: Damaged exhaust port repair

Post by headhog »

hey look at these
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cylinderheads”