Rocker Covers - High End After Market - Worth The Cost??

steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Rocker Covers - High End After Market - Worth The Cost??

Post by steve_wood »

Rocker covers were leaking so I stripped the heads, cleaned and examined all parts. The rocker covers (taiwaneese) have the crescent-shaped marks from the valve springs and/or retainers hitting them (all four corners). The rocker cover gasker surface is also far from flat.

At this point, I'm looking at some aftermarket solutions.

Accurate engineering sells billet covers at $541 a set. Pricey, but billet construction should yield a good result.

http://www.accurate-engineering.com/cat ... ucts_id=23

Custom Cycle Engineering sells cast covers at $325 a set but I'm not sure if these are actually for panheads. Waiting for more info on that.

http://www.customcycleengineering.com/i ... cts_id=457

I was able to carefully grind out the crescent marks without hitting daylight. This should at least alleviate some of the problems. Looks like it will take a bit of careful pounding and a lot of lapping to make the gasket surface flat. Seems like a lot of effort on a cheap product to begin with.

Thoughts anybody???

steve
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Steve!

Unless you correct the valvespring geometry, they will most likely hit any cover you install.

If you choose something excessively sturdy, then it will be the valves and guides that give instead of the cover!

Your money is better spent for oversize valves, or having the seats built back up (and the rest of a thorough head overhaul.)

....Cotten
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Good point.

I just bought this bike and, for the price, I knew what I was getting into. The previous owner told me that the engine was professionally rebuilt about 700 miles ago. I don't doubt that, based on the wear on the cylinders and pistons, but we all know that there are many grades of "professionally rebuilt".

Any recommendations for a good machinist for doing these heads?

steve
VT

Post by VT »

Accurate (did mine) or I've heard HeadHog Sullivan does good seat work.
As far as covers, Kick-Start has good Taiwan covers. I have a set on mine, or V-Twin now has s/s rocker covers, made with "new" tooling (42-0771)$117.50 a set.
Last edited by VT on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Head hog has my out side oiler heads and I just talked with him this morning. Be prepared to wait some , he is the only one I know of that restores the bronze seats to factory spec's.
http://www.headhog.com/about%20us.htm

headhogsullivan@aol.com
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Thanks VT and Fourthgear. I'll start making some phone calls.

steve
pannick
Inactive member

Re: Rocker Covers - High End After Market - Worth The Cost??

Post by pannick »

steve_wood,
I have a set of brand new rocker covers like those from CC that I got @ Laughlin. I am willing to lose a few $$$ if interested. I paid $300.00 and never used them due to clearance issues with my frame. They are in perfect condition and never had a splash of oil on them. If interested IM me ok.

-PanNick
steve_wood wrote:Rocker covers were leaking so I stripped the heads, cleaned and examined all parts. The rocker covers (taiwaneese) have the crescent-shaped marks from the valve springs and/or retainers hitting them (all four corners). The rocker cover gasker surface is also far from flat.

At this point, I'm looking at some aftermarket solutions.

Accurate engineering sells billet covers at $541 a set. Pricey, but billet construction should yield a good result.

http://www.accurate-engineering.com/cat ... ucts_id=23

Custom Cycle Engineering sells cast covers at $325 a set but I'm not sure if these are actually for panheads. Waiting for more info on that.

http://www.customcycleengineering.com/i ... cts_id=457

I was able to carefully grind out the crescent marks without hitting daylight. This should at least alleviate some of the problems. Looks like it will take a bit of careful pounding and a lot of lapping to make the gasket surface flat. Seems like a lot of effort on a cheap product to begin with.

Thoughts anybody???

steve

Return to “Cylinderheads”