1965 heads

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

1965 heads

Post by fourthgear »

I normally recess the head bolt inserts for reliable gasket seating , but the ones for the 65 are pretty far out of alignment with the threaded holes . They are rarely dead center ,but the ones on my 65 are close to being out of the insert on a couple of them , which I think make them susceptible to cracking . The heads are going to Headhog any way to repair the one exh. guide hole and new exh. spigots , so I will have him true the gasket surfaces only. The exh. spigots are not cracked ,but real thin at the bottoms.Were they getting sloppy or old worn out machinery, what do ya think.

panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

fourthgear...headhog redid the heads for my 49. There are a work of art. You will not be sorry for having him do the work.
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

'65 Heads

Post by captainharley »

"Ouch!....." That crack in the guide hole hurts! The exhaust spigots look good to me, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. :wink: AMF/Ride Safe
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Ya that crack does give me the creeps, the others appear to be OK , I 'm sure Don will take care of it . The exh. spigots do look ok from the out side ,but are paper thin in some spots and will give problems in the future and since the are gone to HeadHog any way , I figured , just take care of everything now, they are off the motor . When I rebuild one of these old machines , I go over it and make it to spec's as much as possible to give years of service. My older Pan is just ticking away with just a few bugs (oil canister filter, old gen. system , circuit breaker ,all have been replaced with modern equivalents ) all of which can be traced back to me saying the particular part was serviceable and going with it and they were for the most part , she ran with them, just no good enough to say she was completely dependable . Never left me on the side of the road but the potential was there.The oil canister of late was a good scare.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Recessing the cast-in inserts is not a great idea, but grinding them flat with the rest of the gasket surface is always manditory.

Recessing them just allows room to 'pull' farther!

The cracked guidebore is serious, and although any competent welder and machinist can set up to re-bore, it is safest (and usually cheapest) to send it to someone who is experienced at it, has the angle specs, and is already tooled up with fixtures.
Don at Headhog is our best hope.

With luck, he has a proper burnisher for the final bore at blueprint spec, as the final finish is critical to heat transfer.

....Cotten

Return to “Cylinderheads”