James fire ring head gaskets

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

James fire ring head gaskets

Post by fourthgear »

I know this should get some comments . I have a set of new Jame's fire ring head gaskets that I got for nothing and have never used these particular type ones . I seem to recall the ones I tried many years ago were different . Is any one using the new Jame's fire ring gaskets and should I even try them ? I have used only the Jame's blue Teflon head gaskets since they came out so many years ago( batting a hundred % with them) and not sure if I should try any thing diff.( this is a stroked motor ). I know , I've heard horror story's about them , but any one using them successfully? I can post a photo if any one is interested in what they look like.
flatside
Bikes: '67 FLH custom

Post by flatside »

Yeah fourthgear , I've used the fire ring head gaskets, and the blue teflon ones, and never had trouble with either, but then again, my method of tightning the head bolts was a bit dodgy , using a (don't laugh!) a 6" over kwakasaki mach 111 500 triple fork tube (why anyone would want one of those I dunno?) with a socket and tension wrench 1/2" drive hanging out with 9/16 ring spanner shoved in it, poked up the fork tube, done up with with my left arm, being carefull not to hang onto the bike with my right arm, 'till the left arm shook with the effort !!! technical stuff eh ! :lol:
Tiny
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

I've never had a problem with either design either (sorry for poor English),
....even though I torque them properly.

A "firering" seems like suspenders-and-a-belt to me. Or a bandaid.

But it would be a sin to waste them! Just bubbletest them at high pressure after assembly for peace of mind.

...Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Well you guys make me feel better about them and they are pretty , I'll give them a try. Ya never get to old to experiment , hay its the wife's bike, what the hell.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

How many times have you pulled the heads of yer pan and found a burned out area by the exhaust port? I used the fire ring gaskets this time, after 700mi. no problems. I did a carefull re-tourqe with my home made addapters to 60 lbs. They are expensive, but if they last longer than the blue ones they may be worth it...Mike
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Don't look now, Panacea,
But over a few decades I have pulled uncounted composite gaskets off of OHVs that were perfectly intact. Some looked like WWII Felpro asbestos, and plenty were modern constructions.

So when burnt ones presented themselves upon occasion, I observed them closely: Distortions below the exhaust ports are a result, not a cause.
Heatresistant and and compliant gasket materials have never been a problem. Cheaterbar torquejobs and overheating from vacuum leaks have.

Poor assembly can account for the majority of burnt gaskets, especially if the cast-in headbolt inserts have not been dressed back to flat. (Just a Panhead fact'o'life.) Add the distortions of the matrix casting over generations, and it become apparent that a simple swap-out gasket repair on such tired hardware is betting upon the wind.

On the other hand, careful observation and low-tech detailed preparation can return very tired hardware back into legendary powerplants.
That's why they are legendary.

If a firering is needed over a conventional gasket, then its a bandaid over a growing problem.

But hey, if they are free, I'd never hesitate to use them!

....Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I go to a great deal of prep in installing head gaskets on Pans & Shovels . Proper surface prep ( IMO , the bolt inserts need to be recessed) and true-ness, cleanliness of the surfaces and as has been eloquently put , the gasket is only a part of the whole process . I seek no band aids , just a lasting seal . As has been said ,they were free , you can't ask for a better deal . I'll try them, WITH THE PROPER TORQUE TECHNIQUE , of course , they are a multi layer compression type of gasket and seem pretty robust in construction. Thanks for the input , I thought there would be more on the negitive side , that's a good sign it was not .
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

My pan definetly had an intake leak, and probably was last assembled without proper tourque. I do tend to overkill, I'm sure the blue gaskets are great.

Return to “Cylinderheads”