Pan covers

Where can I can get "quality" replacement [polished aluminum] pan covers that will correctly fit on my 1965 pan?

1960PanNick

Pan covers

Post by 1960PanNick »

Hello all,
Does anybody know where I can get "quality" replacement [polished aluminum] pan covers that will correctly fit on my '60 Pan?
So far I've found some at J&P Cycles, but I've read several warnings and posts that warned about the quality of fit [IE. drilled holes], materials used [aluminum vs. steel] and d-ring thicknesses.
With the addition of some suggested vendors; Would someone please explain why aluminum heads are better [Do they seal better or is it a concern over heat dissipation?] and explain what it is that I need to watch out for when fitting aftermarket heads onto my Pan.

Thanks,
PanNick
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: Pan covers

Post by PanPal »

I never tried the aftermarket ones, but I have heard the same thing about the fit. I installed aluminum covers on my stock looking 59 for heat dissipation. Originals had an anodized finish. My OEM aluminum covers are now polished because good looking originals are expensive and very hard to find. The biggest problem I had, was keeping the D rings from scratching the shit out of my buffing job. I would make sure you have felts in them also. The thin aluminum covers will dissipate heat better than the thicker covers. If they are chrome plated, they may as well be steel because the chrome will contain the heat.
adjustaglide

Post by adjustaglide »

Hey Panpal, I was just wonderin why the felts are important? I just could never figger out what the reason was for em. But then again I seem to spend a lot of time wondering these days. ;)
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

One thing the felts do is quiet down the noise from the top end. I also believe they assist in top end oiling. If you have originals, try to reuse them. the aftermarket felt seem to break down and the little pieces get in the oil passages. Now on mine, after some close inspection I did not try to glue them into the set of covers I had, instead they rest on top of the rockers with the cutouts in over the studs and nuts. The cover (Stock covers) are so close to the studs that there is no way for the felts to fall off and lay over any moving parts or oil returns. Some others here may disagree. There has also been past discussion about what type of glue to use. Some people have had the glue break down and then they have the glue particles circulating though the oiling system.
1957 Stroked Pan

Post by 1957 Stroked Pan »

Make sure your heads have not been repaired by anyone incorrectly in the past as well..my 57 had some of the holes Tig welded up and then they redrilled and tapped the head..well they were off on their accuracy and when I took my pan covers off I noticed the holes had to be reamed out to make the covers fit..I bought a new set thinking maybe the previous covers were cheapo aftermarkets with incorrect holes but in fact my heads were screwed up..I am currently Re-tig welding up the bad ones and will be redrilling and tapping in the correct spot.

Return to “Cylinderheads”