'50-'54 Heads

old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

'50-'54 Heads

Post by old.wrench »

I'd like to "tap" in to the collective knowledge here. I've got a pretty decent set of '50-'54 heads that I'm doing a little work on. At some point in the past the original intake nipples were replaced with the hokey aftermarket O-ring adapters which were leaking where they were screwed into the heads. Whoever removed the original inlet nipples didn't use a whole lot of finesse, but they did leave me with some threads although they're a little boogered up. I got a couple replacement plumber type nipples from my neighbors over at Colony, but not suprisingly they are kind of a loose fit on account of the heads. I realize the best way to make a permanent and lasting intake repair would be to weld and rethread, but I don't think I'm ready to go that route yet.I'm reserving that as the final option. Has anybody used the longer over-stock length intake nipples from Carls Cycle Supply? If you did use those nipples, did you need to tap the head any deeper to accept them? If that is the case, it looks to me like it would take a 1-3/4"X20tpi tap although I'm not sure if it should be a plug or a bottom tap. Another thing I'm wondering about; has anybody tried using Deacon 770-L thread sealant on the inlet nipples? Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Geo.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: '50-'54 Heads

Post by 1950Panhead »

Has anybody used the longer over-stock length intake nipples from Carls Cycle Supply
I would try these first, they can be ground to shorten if required (check manifold fit).
I would not use sealant.
Another option is have a machine shop make a set to fit your threads if Carls's don't work.
Jerry
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Re: '50-'54 Heads

Post by old.wrench »

I stopped by Colony today and talked to Mark on the off chance that they might have some extra long nipples kicking around, but no such luck, and with their current inventory he doesn't anticipate making another run of nipples for maybe 6 months. He did say that he has had other requests for oversize nipples. We also talked about some sort of a kit that would maybe include a custom tap. Its just not too clear what the demand would be because this is not a typical do-it-yourself kind of repair and there are already some good shops that do a nice job on head repairs. So anyhow, Mark got me together with a smaller shop in the same industrial park and they are going to crank out a couple of nipples, +.005" on the diameter and +.125" on the length that threads into the head. Like Jerry said, I can always trim them down a bit on my lathe, I'm good with that sort of thing but not with machining the threads on the nipples. Maybe I can get by without buying (exchanging my right nut for) a tap.

Regards,
Geo.

Return to “Cylinderheads”