Fixing my '52 FL SPeedometer

awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Fixing my '52 FL SPeedometer

Post by awander »

A few months ago, my speedometer needle started jumping around. I ignored it(bad move!)

A month or so later, the needle had stopped moving at all, and the inside of the glass was "dirty" or dusty.

I figured the drive cable had snapped, so I ignored it for another couple of months.

When I finally got around to investigating, I found the drive cable was fine. "Luckily" for me, someone had already taken this unit apart, and the bezel was already pried most of the way open, with just a few points re-crimped. So it was pretty easy to get the Bezel, Bezel Gasket, Glass Retainer, Glass, Glass Gasket, and in my case, the piece of the dial that stays with the bezel(the outer ring) off. I found once I got inside, that some of the "guts" were loose. Further investigation showed that the Field Plate had come loose from the Main Frame(the 3 screws were rattling around in the bottom of the Case).

Here is an illustration, which may help:
Speedometer exploded View.jpg
Further disassembly showed that the Hair Spring Pin was flopping around in the Rear Jewel Bracket. The Rear Jewel Bracket is supposed to contain 2 pieces of a very hard substance; one of them, which is flat, merely sits in the bottom of the hole in the bracket, taking the end thrust from the Hair Spring Pin, while the other one, which was completely gone in my speedometer, has a hole drilled through it, which the Hair Spring Pin passes through. These 2 "jewels" (which look like a ceramic or glass material to me) are the bearings for the rear of the Hair Spring Pin.

My first thought was to contact someone like Perry Ruiter who rebuilds these things, but my finances are not so great these days, and a quality rebuild was probably going to cost me more than I could afford to spend right now. So I started thinking about how to do the job myself, if only to just get the speedometer working again.

I spent quite a lot of time researching jewels for watches and clocks, and found that the type of jewel I needed, which provides both radial and thrust bearing surfaces, is called a "balance jewel", and it is the most delicate(and usually the smallest) jewel in a watch or clock mechanism. I needed one with a 1mm bore, and the largest I could find was about 0.12mm.

I also contacted the aforementioned Perry Ruiter, who was very helpful with advice, but could not tell me where to find a replacement jewel. He did mention that a friend of his had made a repair using a tiny ball-bearing, and he would ask his friend to contact me if I wished. I said, "Yes, Please!", but the friend was obviously not so inclined, so I started to look further into it.

I found a place that sold 1x3x1 ball bearings (that is 1mm bore, 3mm OD, and 1mm thick) at a reasonable price, so I ordered a few of them. When I got them, I was able to press one onto the rear of the Hair Spring Pin, with moderate finger pressure.

The problem I now had was that the hole in the Rear Jewel Bracket was ever-so-slightly larger than 3mm. I used a small drill bit to ream out the crimps in the hole in the Rear Jewel Bracket, and started pondering-If I had a very thin-walled tube, of 3mm ID, I could press it over the OD of the bearing, and then insert the whole assembly into the Bracket. I had no such metal tubing, but then I remembered that, being in the electronics business, I had quite an assortment of plastic insulating and heat-shrink tubing.

I found a piece of heat-shrink that fit snugly over the bearing OD. I cut a 1mm slice of it, put it over the bearing, and assembled the whole thing....and it works!

It remains to be seen how long it will last, but so far, i am pretty happy with my $10.00 repair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Fixing my '52 FL SPeedometer

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Andy,
When I uploaded that old TM 9-1829 to the Knowledge Base I wondered if anyone would enoy it as much as I did, glad you found it. I did a similar repair on the speedo that is on my wife's servicar, that one was in about the same shape as yours but with an extra "kicker" problem, the hair spring end that is held in place with the tiny wedge had rusted off. I'm sure that the old Police speedo is not calibrated as it was when it left Stewart Warner, but it works, and it reads within a few mph of what the GPS does. (I have a handlebar clamp for my old Magellan GPS, it has an analog display setting that looks just like a speedo dial).

Good job! keep us posted on the other "do it yourself" repairs you come up with.

mike
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

Pretty amazing Andy, glad you solved it. Years ago I just to buy watch parts from S LaRose. Checking on the web (when I bought parts it was catalogs only) it looks like they've been bought out by a company that sells kits and kinda junk stuff.

Sometimes (for me) it's not about the cost, it's just the Challenge.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

That "front jewel" is the place where most broke first, especially those more modern assemblies with plastic or hard nylon 'jewels'.

I still have a hand drawing of one from Underdoggie dated 10/20/89

Just think how fantastic they would be if he cut them from PEEK!
Seriously.

....Cotten
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Cotten:

Do you mean the Front Jewel(the one that the shaft passes through on the way to it's union with the pointer) or the Rear Jewel, which broke on mine?

I'd like to see that sketch, if you are willing to share it.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Andy!

Its been twenty years, but it seemed like the front.

And it's Underdoggie's effort; I hope we hear from him soon....

....Cotten

Return to “Speedometer, Dashboard & Instruments”