Speedo Drive Gear

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Speedo Drive Gear

Post by Robert Luland »

Got to get an opinion on something here. This morning I had to press on a big twin speedo drive gear on the counter shaft cluster (New Andrews). Never had to do this before. The problem came about when I was able to put 98% of it on by hand. Only 1/16" of an inch was tight. This can't be right? Am I safe in assuming that the whole thing should be a tight press fit? So lets say the gear is shot. Is there someone out there that makes a replacement that fits and functions properly? Thanks guys, Bob L
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Speedo Drive Gear

Post by Cotten »

Bob!

A micrometer should quickly tell you if the clustergear's 'landing' for the worm drive has a ridge upon it, by measureing one side of it against the other.
Close visual inspection of the bore of the drive gear may show a ridge if it is the culprit.

I haven't a bare cluster handy for a spec, but I'll bet the Andrews part is at fault every time.

....Cotten
PS: Please remember that the drive must be trued upon the cluster between centers.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Bob,
I know the old originals are staked on one side. I suspect the only place it is tight is where it has been staked in the past. Did you mic the old one and the Andrews to see how much difference there is? I would bet that the original press fit is only .0005-.001, otherwise the spiral gear might split. I am not aware of a good replacement part, but there are originals out there. What ratio are you looking for?
Robbie.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Thanks for the response guys. I don't have the original cluster. It was badly pitted and I chucked it. That was about five months ago. That should be about the normal turnaround time for it to be returning to the US and heading for a Wal-Mart shelf. I have a couple of oem clusters kicking around and tomorrow morning I'll start micing them to find my culprit. Cotton its funny you should mention Andrews being the problem. In the past I never had a problem with their stuff but lately it seems to be one out of three. I've started to view opening one of their boxes as "What am I in for today". Rob when you say staking, are you refering to a shot with a cener punch to the side of the gear? Bob
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Bob,
Looking at the side of the original gears on the cluster the staking appears as four equally speced square section depressions, probably done by a machine and i would say to keep the gear from moving due to side load from the drive gear.
But anytime there is a bit of displaced metal it will change the inner dimension somewhat in the immediate area, making me think that the reason you are getting interference on the last 16th is due to that and not a taper in the bore.
Robbie

Return to “Speedometer, Dashboard & Instruments”