speedo read error

xnoahx

speedo read error

Post by xnoahx »

So, riding to work today, I noticed my speedo was reading 90mph. No chance that is correct so what might cause this? Kinked or strectched cable? Also, when I parked it the needle stayed at 40mph. Im going to take a look at it tonight when I get home but was hoping for some direction on here. I want it to read right so my odometer shows correct.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: speedo read error

Post by john HD »

send your speedo to john bordas he will check it and lubricate it for a very reasonable amount.

he is a good guy that does quality work. he built my 55 speedo from scratch.

info:

john bordas

11800 W. 38th ave.
wheat ridge CO

320 420 4510

j.bordas@att.net

john
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Sounds like either the needle has slipped, or the needle return spring has slipped.
Either way, the only way to fix it is to open it up. The bezel is knurled in place and can be difficult to open without ruining it. If it is an old factory speedo, it would probably be wise to have it looked at by a pro. They can be expensive to replace. If the error happend all of the sudden, it is unlikely that it is the magnetic drive.
The needle can be off, but the odometer can still be marking correctly.
This is the spring in question.
speedospring.jpg

I saw a 1951 pan speedo sell for over $1000 on eBay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Do yourself a favor and send your speedo to John, as was recommended. He has done several complete rebuilds for me in the last few years and they look new. He has the correct Stewart Warner parts, and he is a great guy.
VPH-D

Return to “Speedometer, Dashboard & Instruments”