Having problems with internal throttle cable .....

Fastlane
Bikes: 51fl
66 flh

Having problems with internal throttle cable .....

Post by Fastlane »

Hey guys, I have a 51 pan that I am putting back together and I am getting close to the end. I am new to pans so a lot of my questions may seem really dumb and obvious but I need help anyway. Yesterday I went to install a new internal throttle cable with the solid internal wire. I have the spiral running smooth without the cable but with the cable hooked up it is very tough to operate it. I tried using a bicycle shifter cable in the pan outer sleeve and it worked smooth but won't operate the linkert properly. I butchered the new cable sheeth and solid wire battling with it for over an hour yesterday and now I need a new one. Is there a trick to this install to make the cable stay straighter and not bind? I am going to buy a new cable cause the one I have is now all ripped up on the inside from trying to shove the solid wire through it multiple time. Help me please so I can button up the front end with out fucking it all up. Thanks
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Re: Having problems with internal throttle cable .....

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Routing of the cable must be free of any sharp turns. Also when inserting the hard wire thru the sleeve resist the temptation of rotating it around. That will cause it to drag inside the outer cable once you do get it thru there. They can be a pain so stay patient with it.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

take some sandpaper or a file and round off the end of the inner cable, so you will be able to push it through the control coil more easily.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Leave the outer cable straight out of the bars, push the inner cable through (it should go like butter), then hook the cables up.
Jerry
Fastlane
Bikes: 51fl
66 flh

Post by Fastlane »

Should I have the solid inner cable in the outer sheath when I run the outer sheath Through the bars or should the sheath be empty, then install inner cable after the outer is run? I think I buggered up the inside of the outer sheath that I have. Is there anyway to repair this?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Obviously the inner cable will go thru much easier before hand. part of your problem may be the spiral itself, have you de-burred the parts? lube?
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Fastlane, It sounds like you have a routing problem. Unlike the 48 that is a nightmare, the run on that cable is very short and straight forward. You shouldn't be experiencing the problem your having. Notice in the first photo the cable just above the lower bearing cup. In the second photo you can see it following under the neck reinforcment tube to the carb. Hope this helps, Bob L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”