Handlebar for duoglide

bruak
Bikes: 1960 fl
1964 flh
1976 flh

Handlebar for duoglide

Post by bruak »

I recently received a set of handlebars the are or were both left &right timer throttle style bars . well what I got was a suprise . I can see the track for the roller and the thread for the end nut , but there is a sleeve over them to make a 1 " bar .
Did they come like this from the factory ,or is it something someone shrunk on over the true track?
hopefully I didn't get fleeced again .
Regards
Bruce
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Re: Handlebar for duoglide

Post by UPSROD »

They are probably factory 65 -72 bars with no timer advance.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

It's possible someone stuck a piece of conduit over the bars to use an external throttle and
grips. If that is the case, the conduit can be removed to restore solid wire use.
VPH-D
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Pictures would help here... If both sides have internals there shouldn't be any outside sleeve, it is likely someone fattened them up to run an external type throttle & did both sides to run matching grips. There were several changes over the years to the internals but I don't recall any having outside sleeving. Some good pics. would help the folks here identify them for you.
bruak
1964 flh
1976 flh

Post by bruak »

Yes Thats what I thought , someone jammed ends over the control track , the bars are unchromed and the sleeves jammed on them are chrome . I will take some pics before I start removing them .I will try to carefully run a score line with my zip cut and split them .
bruak
1964 flh
1976 flh

Post by bruak »

Here is a pic of the left side bar , not a great pic but you can see the real internal ,down inside the sleeve
I need to remove the sleeves to go back to the dual point and linkert .
thanks
Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

bruak wrote:I recently received a set of handlebars the are or were both left &right timer throttle style bars . well what I got was a suprise . I can see the track for the roller and the thread for the end nut , but there is a sleeve over them to make a 1 " bar .
Did they come like this from the factory ,or is it something someone shrunk on over the true track?
hopefully I didn't get fleeced again .
Regards
Bruce

As UPSROD said they are probably 65-72 bars. I had a set like that years ago and the sleeve was spot welded on. Have a look and see if you can see anywhere that they might have been spot welded on and then grind that area to release them. That's what I did with mine.
bruak
1964 flh
1976 flh

Post by bruak »

Thank You for your input :
the bars were sleeved ,drilled a hole right through sleeve end ,held in soft jaws inserted punch thru hole ,heated alittle and they came right off , some kinda locktite held them in place . before and after
Thanks Again
Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”