Wanna go back to internal handlebar controls

1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Wanna go back to internal handlebar controls

Post by 1964 pan »

Am runnning S&S carb and 1966-69 distributor. I have the orginal Linkert. Manual distributor should be no problem. The thing I am wondering about is what about the handlebars and internals. Go with aftermarket :cry: or go with some questionable originals off ebay and rebuild them? Or maybe some one has a spare set? For a 1964. :mrgreen:
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: Wanna go back to internal handlebar controls

Post by Hauula Pan »

I am running after market spirals and so far they are working OK. I did notice that when I got them one was quite rough & I had to do some filing to get it to work smoothly. By the way before I went back to my Linkert I ran an S&S and since I wanted to run the throttle internally I drilled the rivets out of the spiral & had a friend machine one with the groove reversed so it would pull instead of push. Blew a few minds with that one. After market is always a crap shoot but some times buying old originals is too so ya just have to take your chances. Usually the true stock stuff fits & works better unless its worn out, then its no better than an after market piece. It really is a toss up. Of course if you're doing a true restoration then hunting down the original stuff is a must. Good luck either way.
1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by 1964 pan »

I found my original bars that I forgot about. They need rechroming. My cousin got the throttle guts long ago for his 1961 Pan. I am trying to get the end screw out of the left bar. Seized up. Only been in there for 47 years. I think maybe all I might need on the left is coil and control wire. Can anyone recommend where to get the internals for the throttle side and coil and wire for the retard? Thanks.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Kick Start Motorcycle Parts Inc. 616-245-8991
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Kick Start, & V-Twin both sell them.
Rain Man
Bikes: 1965 FL, 1983 FLH, 2010 electra glide

Post by Rain Man »

When I built the 65 I decided to stash the linkert and go to an SandS. If you want to run an internal cable, you have to run a reverse spiral. Try Old Dudes in Georgia. Sorry I don't have the number at hand. That's where I got mine. These guys are good. Ray

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”