New to panheads....help please

bigtim1985
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 pan

New to panheads....help please

Post by bigtim1985 »

this is my first "old" bike so im very new to this but im very mechanical. i just bought a 1963 flh pan project. it has the original linkert carb on it but there is no throttle cable and i cant figure out where/what holds the cable to the frame near the carb. i found this picture on this forum of a 64. should i have this tab on my frame?

any help would be great. also does the 63 have split handle bars or are they one piece? thanks for the help. -tim
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Re: New to panheads....help please

Post by panhead_kicker »

Hi Tim,
Yes your 63 should have that tab. Another small pinch clamp holds the throttle cable in place there, although it's not seen in the pic. And yes you should have two piece bars, each with internal controls.
bigtim1985
Inactive member

Post by bigtim1985 »

thankyou. i figured that someone had cut the tab off. i have another question. i have all new hard oil lines for the engine. everything fits but the real short line from the back of the filter to the oil tank. the fitting for the oil tank requires a flared line, but the line i have both ends arent flared(they have a black rubber seal in them) am i doing something wrong? thanks -tim
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

the fitting for the oil tank requires a flared line, but the line i have both ends arent flared(they have a black rubber seal in them) am i doing something wrong? thanks -tim
Tim,
You are missing a fitting that adapts the flare to the compression fitting. I'll dig one out and post a pic.
Robbie
58Tin
Bikes: 1958 Panhead
2005 Road King

Post by 58Tin »

Hey Tim-There is a fitting to adapt from the flare fitting on the oil tank to the straight line from the filter.Part # 63524-50
bigtim1985
Inactive member

Post by bigtim1985 »

ok great, thankyou. that was really confusing me. im sorry to ask so many questions but here's my next one. my bike has no wiring whatsoever. it does have what i think is a joe hunt magneto and a 12v generator. it also has the stock dash. what else will i need in addition to the wiring harness to make this work? thanks-tim
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Headlight, taillight, brakelight switch, dimmer switch, horn (if required by local law), kill button for mag, voltage regulator. With the combination of components you have you will be building a custom wiring harness. Look in the knowledge base and there are diagrams of magneto/generator systems with no battery. Easy to do with a battery as well.
Robbie
bigtim1985
Inactive member

Post by bigtim1985 »

i was planning on ordering a new wiring harness. so i was wonder what else i need to make the bike work. the 2 terminal boards, a voltage regulator, and a battery? am i forgetting anything? also what does the voltage regulator bolt to? i guess im missing that bracket. thanks again.
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

The knowledge base will have all the info you need as far as components and schematics.... Take some time to look through the information, all your questions are answered there.. Different regulators bolt up in different places, just depends on what you decide to run.
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

bigtim1985 wrote:i was planning on ordering a new wiring harness. so i was wonder what else i need to make the bike work. the 2 terminal boards, a voltage regulator, and a battery? am i forgetting anything? also what does the voltage regulator bolt to? i guess im missing that bracket. thanks again.
Tim,
The stock regulator mounts on an L shaped bracket that bolts to the two rear motor mounts. That's a 6v. I gutted a stock housing and inserted an electronic 12v inside it. You'd never know the difference looking at it outside. I'll post a pic shortly.
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Tim,
Here's a shot of a stock mounted regulator for your 63. Also a pic of the Oil filter to tank connection for an idea of what you're missing. You need to get a 59-69 parts catalog. They are indispensable for identifying parts and order of fitment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigtim1985
Inactive member

Post by bigtim1985 »

thankyou for all the help you guys have given me already. i just have one more question then ill stop bother you guys. i need stock handle bars for my bike. i know mine are supposed to be 2 piece but if i were to buy lets say the earler bars for a 54-59 is there a noticeable difference in the bars looks or is it just that they are 1 piece instead of 2? also i have a linkert m-74 carb this is a pull throttle rite? thanks again
Last edited by bigtim1985 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

The bars look the same a far as bends, however if you have the correct forks and top tree the one piece bars won't work. If you have some other arrangement than anything will work.
Linkert Carbs are push throttles, not pull.
Robbie

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”