Re Handlebar Spirals and Retarding the timing

rootwad
Inactive member
Bikes: '59 Pan/Shovel FLH
'06 Road King FLHR

Re Handlebar Spirals and Retarding the timing

Post by rootwad »

Hey
Once again, many thanks for the input. My motor doesn't die when I retard the spark, so my timing is ok, may have a leak in the intake, I'll check that today. And I am NOT interested in impressing anyone with the 'lope' at the retarded position, just like the way it sounds. BUT I am WAY more interested in doing things right, keeping oil to the motor and not heating it up more than I need to.
One more question, tho: My timer is kinda hard to move back and forth, not hard when using my hand, but maybe too hard for the cable. I am wanting to pull the timer and clean it up, pull it apart ect. Do I have to pull the front head to remove it? It is a 59 bottom, with a 66 shovel top. Or can I just pull the top off the timer to clean and lube the shaft? It looked to me (in the book) like the top is threaded onto the shaft?
Thanks
Eric aka rootwad
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Re: Re Handlebar Spirals and Retarding the timing

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Eric there is a c-clip underneath the timer that it rotates on, and when it gets cruddy it will make turning the timer diffucult. No need to pull the timer. Just remove that clip and give it a good cleaning and put it back. -Steve
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Re Handlebar Spirals and Retarding the timing

Post by john HD »

quick and dirty method:

invert can of wd 40, spray the bottom of timer. work back and forth!

john

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”