HANDLEBARS

tattoo mark
Bikes: 55fl,79flh,93flhtp

HANDLEBARS

Post by tattoo mark »

I have a question about handlebars,I have a "Flatland"offset springer on my 55 pan when I built it I was trying to look like a 48 bobber,I used the oem style standard wide handlebars that are one piece with triple tree built in,my problem I'm having is going the the hard right from a stop or tight turns at slow speeds the end of bar is hitting my knee cap and riding is a challenge,I really don't want to put dog bone/or risers on the front end,so my question is what did riders back in the day do?Are there any other types of bars that will be higher so it will clear my knee?I'm almost tempted to change the entire front end to wide glide.hope someone can give me some suggestions on this the bike should be fun to ride but its not.Thanks,TM
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Re: HANDLEBARS

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Mark, I’ve heard those complaints from guys using the buck horn style bars, but not when using the standards (speedsters). Makes me wonder what type seat you are using? Is that springer of yours NOS length?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Somewhere in the service literature it says something about bending the bars upward "if the officer needs more room."

Thank gawd for Flanders risers.

....Cotten
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

i have a stock seat
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I think I would go with the Flander's set-up. Of course it means replacing EVERYTHING, you need the triple clamp with ears, the dog bones and a new set of bars, but the upside is that you can piece together a system that will be a lot more flexible than the offset springer bars. You can adjust a Flanders set-up to fit you, and they have rubber mounts to cushion some of the jolts from that springer.

Somebody tried the bend-'em-upwards trick on the 1935 in-line springer bars I have on my '34, the results are less than appealing. I just gave the bars to Tom Faber at the Wauseon meet, he's going to try to straighten them and bring them to Davenport. We'll see if he can salvage them.

mike
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

Ohio-Rider wrote:Mark, I’ve heard those complaints from guys using the buck horn style bars, but not when using the standards (speedsters). Makes me wonder what type seat you are using? Is that springer of yours NOS length?
i am using a corbin gentry solo seat with a pogo,springer is stock length.
Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider »

I'm just 5'10" so long legs have never been a problem for me. I just took these bars off my pan this year. If your interested PM me.
56Pan.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

Ohio-Rider wrote:I'm just 5'10" so long legs have never been a problem for me. I just took these bars off my pan this year. If your interested PM me.
i might be interested in them ,internal throttle?wondering did you use dog bones?how tall?
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

heres a photo of the bike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Doant need no steenking risers!
Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Those are nice! I tried to bend some for myself last winter and destroyed lots of pipe before giving up. :D

Mark, These 4" risers with your tanks will cause a lose of travel for the bars because at the extremes the risers will just bump your tanks by about 1/4". -Steve

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”