Handlebar riser bushings

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Handlebar riser bushings

Post by fourthgear »

Has anyone replaced there handle bar riser bushings? If so, is there any tricks to remove them. My front end is a 52 variety and they are probably org., There is a set screw on the out side that I removed , but it seems like there or looks like there is something else in there . Any ideas gentlemen ? Should I just replace them, (the whole riser) I would rather rebuild them . I have not seen a parts break down on them any where , anyone know of one some where ?
57pan
Inactive member

Re: Handlebar riser bushings

Post by 57pan »

The Service Parts manual should give you a break-down on the risers. I don't have mine with me here at work but I do have an Antique Cycle Supply catalog here and it shows the bushings as part # 56158-49.

I don't see a set screw though. Do you have a link to some pictures of it?
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

57pan
The set screw goes all the way through the bushing and fits into a small recess( flat ) on the riser bolt . I guess its to secure the bolt from turning and the bushing from pulling out. My parts book only goes to 48 and I don't see that set screw on any other break downs in catalogs I have , may be it was home grown but both of my risers have one and they are not in the same location on the risers , one is pointing to the side and the other is pointing back. The bolts have this flat in the same location on both bolts , but that could be home grown too. I can not even move the bushings , I will try some more and if I don't get them out with out damaging the risers , I will just order a complete new set. I did find out one thing , the set screws broke about where they meet the bushing.
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

I'm guessing the set screw is a home-grown item. Mine does not have a set screw and the head of the bolt is round with a large slot in it like a screw driver slot. I did not have a large enough screw driver to hold the riser bolt so I had to use the flat end of a small crow bar (not the claw end) with a crescent wrench on the shank of the crow bar to hold the screw while loosening or tightening the nuts on the bottom side of the triple tree bracket.

The set screw is kind of a neat idea but, as you found, those small screws tend to seize.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Ya , I am going to replace the both risers cause the bushing will not move unfortunately. Mine also have the slotted head on the bolt and I see no way of removing the bushings with out destroying the risers.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”