Apehangers on a 1962

62wild1
Bikes: 1962 panhead, 1999 Wideglide, 2008 Ultra Classic and a few other brands.

Apehangers on a 1962

Post by 62wild1 »

I am trying to get enough parts mail order to put a nice set of ape hangers on my 62 duo. Has anyone done a conversion and is there a system that will bolt on without modifying the brake and mousetrap setup? How is the riding experience? Any recommended suppliers or brands? I still have the manual advance which I can rig up something as I doubt any aftermarket bars can be adapted.

Thanks
haggis
Bikes: *

Re: Apehangers on a 1962

Post by haggis »

62trvler.
You'll have to get a rigid mount kit for your risers or else you'll feel like the bars are made from string!. As for brake and mousetrap, depending on how high you want the bars you will probably have to replace the cables for both. The manual advance, you can either go with the old spring retainer method, or better yet get an auto advance breaker and not have to worry anymore!
Depending on how high you are going the feel will change, mine are just a little above shoulder height,it will take a little time to get used to them, but now It feels weird to me riding with normal height bars! Haggis.
62wild1

Post by 62wild1 »

Thanks Haggis, I'll look around for the rigid mount kit. I wanted to keep them around shoulder height also. Do you have a picture that would give me an idea of the looks? I heard someone tell me there are bars called Fat Bars that are a larger than normal diameter that look nice. What are you using for controls?
ArizonaMike
Inactive member

Post by ArizonaMike »

A great place to get the extended mousetrap cable (as well as any other one) is Barnett.
62wild1

Post by 62wild1 »

Thanks Mike, I'll give them a try.
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

62trvler,
Mikes on the money with the cables, that's where I got mine,apart from the throttle , that was laying around and just happened to fit.
Controls were from JP cycle, early model lever Assemblies,page 822 in the latest catalog.
I'm not keen on the look of the Fat bars, too modern for me, but its your bike , whatever gives you a boner ;D
Follow this link to a pic of The Purple Bastard, click on pic to enlarge.This is how I set her up. Haggis.

62wild1

Post by 62wild1 »

Sweet machine haggis! I took a look at the site and they have a great selection and I didn't realize the different braided color choices were available till now. I'll have to measure up my wide glide next.

Thanks again for the help

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”