Hydra Glide

panhead1951
Bikes: 1982 FLH1340 Electra Glide
1951 FL1200 Hydra Glide Sport Solo

Hydra Glide

Post by panhead1951 »

Hello....

I'm the proud owner of a 1951 Hydra Glide Sport Solo. Two years ago the motorcycle caught fire by itself (spontaneous selfcombustion) and together with my garage (and all that was in it) it burned to the ground.
So, for the last two years I am restoring the bike.
My problem is getting parts. The shop that supplies my parts get some parts from 45 Parts Depot. Man....do they take their time to get the parts ordered shipped to The Netherlands (that's were I live). For example, in june 2004 I ordered a new jiffy for the pan and now I am still waiting for it. In my opinion that's unacceptable.

What's your experience with waiting for parts? Is my case an exception or do you have the same experiences? Let me know....

Greetings...

Garm.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Garm,

45partsdepot is based in the Netherlands, so it shouldn't take that much time! Try to phone Kurt, he is now off for vacation but should be back soon. Another good source is J.W. Boon (www.jwboon.nl), also in the Netherlands.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I live in the Netherlands and also have a '51 Pan!
I order my parts at JW Boon. Prices are good and he ships the same day.

Marc
panhead1951

hydra 1951 wiring

Post by panhead1951 »

Hallo marc....

bedankt voor je respons.

Ik heb nog een paar vragen voor je. Weet jij de routing van de gaskabel voor de 51'er pan? ik weet niet waar ik de gaskabel moet vastzetten aan het frame (in buurt van carburateur).
Een tijd geleden heb ik een complete kabelboomset gekocht (12 Volt linnen omwonden) voor de panhead. Echter, op de schematische tekening stond vermeld 1959 Duo Glide. Ervan uitgaande dat die ook wel op een panhead van 51 zou gaan passen. Fout! D'r pas geen ene hout van. Weet jij of er complete kabelboomsets voor een hydra van 1951 (12V linnen) aan te komen zijn?

groeten Garm.
panhead
Site Admin

Post by panhead »

Dit heeft Jan Willem Boon te koop:

B 4735-48 70321-48 Wiring set WL, UL, EL, FL, Panhead, Servi-car '48-'57. usa 62.00

Ik zou even bellen.
panhead1951

Throttle-control Hydra

Post by panhead1951 »

Hallo Marc...

Kun je me nog iets vertellen over de routing van de gaskabel, en vooral waar de kabelmantel aanhet frame gefixeerd wordt?

Greetz
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

I love this! I can't understand what the hell you guys are saying, but I know one thing for sure; it may sound different, but we're speaking the same language. Same problems, different country.
panhead1951

Throttlecontrol cable routing 1951 Pan

Post by panhead1951 »

Hello Panfreak...

Sorry for the fact that I was discussing some panhead-problems I encountered (during the restauration of my Pan) in Dutch with a fellow-Dutchman. But it makes it easier for me to talk about my Pan-problems.
But since you are here now, can you tell me where to attach the throttlecontrol-cable onto the frame of a 1951 Hydra Glide?

Greetz...
panhead
Site Admin

Post by panhead »

Garm,

Omdat ik zelf al jaren met een S&S rij ben ik een beetje vergeten hoe het precies zit. Als je in het onderdelenboek (1941 - 1954) kijkt zie je een clip die tegen het frame vastgezet wordt. Bij een 45" zit het net zo, bij de voorste framebuis. Ik zal nog verder zoeken in de boeken.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

There is a small bracket which attaches to the frame at the upper engine mount bolt. Sort of an "L" shaped thing with a pinch clamp screw at one end which lines up and holds the end of the throttle cable housing. I was also looking for a place to attach cable to frame where housing snaked around neck and went behind shift arm. I have a small tab on left front down tube that I presume could have been for either this, or speedo cable as they both run right beside it. But I found that after I adjusted the length of housing for throttle cable while turning handle bars left and right, it actually works great without being attached anywhere other than the bracket I described at top mount. Kind of long winded, but I hope this helps.
Len.
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

Panfreak - the bracket on the left downtube is there to secure the cable for the manual advance. The throttle cable is just secured beside the top motor mount as you described.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Hey Duo,
Now you have me scratching my head because I didn't attach my spark advance to that tab either. Gonna have to check tonight and see how I routed my housing again, but I know I didn't attach it anywhere other than down at the relay bracket.... I also wired my pan myself, and the ROUTING of all the wires and cables was a bit of guess work. Hard to figure these things out from pictures, and a shop manual didn't help in this way either.
Len.
panhead1951

throttlecontrol-cable routing

Post by panhead1951 »

Hello guys....

Thanx for the feedback.

I'm gonna check out your info soon.

I will keep you informed about this topic....

Greetings,

Garm.
panhead1951

Throttlecontrol cable routing

Post by panhead1951 »

Hello guys...

Finally I got my throttlecontrol cable routing completed. It is working great.
However, no attaching brackets or clamps on frame. The good old tie raps did the job. I know you are thinking what a fool I must be by getting the job done in such a way (nothing like the original thing), but I got sick and tired looking for a place on the frame to attach the cable onto. I didn't like the idea of drilling a hole (and thread it) into the frame. So the tie raps gave me the solution. I am comforting me with the idea that nobody can tell the difference once the tanks are mounted.

Anyway, thanks for the support guys. I hope I can rely on you (and your many years of Panhead-experience) next time I encounter one of those panheadache's.....

Greetings Garm.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”