Handlebars

Fixman
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Handlebars

Post by Fixman »

I have tried several times to get an OEM set of bars from eBay, but the last good set went for nearly $700. I can't do that.

I have heard that the replica bars from Tedd (V-Twin) are not very good, but I guess that is to be expected. Anyone have experience with these Bars?

Does anybody know of an alternate source of replica bars that can be recommended?

Kent
HD48FL
Bikes: Yep

Re: Handlebars

Post by HD48FL »

Fixman wrote:I have tried several times to get an OEM set of bars from eBay, but the last good set went for nearly $700. I can't do that.

I have heard that the replica bars from Tedd (V-Twin) are not very good, but I guess that is to be expected. Anyone have experience with these Bars?

Does anybody know of an alternate source of replica bars that can be recommended?

Kent
I saw this guys website, no affiliation or opinion:

http://www.fabercycle.com/

Let us know how you make out!
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I've talked to Tom at Faber Cycle, and he seems genuine. His bars show up on machines judged by the AMCA. The V-Twin bars require several hours of hand filing and swearing to make usable, but they will work.
VPH-D
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

I also just checked with Tom and he is working up a price for me for a complete, assembled set of buckhorns.

Thanks Much for the lead. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Kent
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

700 bucks, wow!

i guess i got lucky when i got mine for 275 at davenport.

i have heard of folks who took a damaged set cut the ends and middle section out and welded in new curved sections.

good luck in your search!

john
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

What year handlebars? What model? The V-Twin '54-59 speedster bars are as good as OEM. I own a set. Came with electrical tape wrapped around the ends of the bars to protect the slot. Shipped with the big head end screw. Really nice. Used '54-59 don't seem to exist.
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

VintageTwin, I am looking for bars for my 57 Pan. I much prefer the Buckhorn over the Speedster, but beggars can't be choosers. OEM bars do exist, but they are usually in very bad shape, or go for huge amounts on eBay.

Your experience with Tedd's bars seems to be the exception since I have heard some pretty bad things about them. I did call them and they said they have a new supplier (the old part number is no longer available) so maybe they have corrected the problems.

I think I will pay a little more and give Tom Faber at FaberCycle a try. He makes them himself, and I have heard nothing but good about his work.

Kent
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

My experience with two sets of Tedd's bars was not without problems.
Safety issues and fit were among them.

I haven't inspected Mr. Faber's bars, but I am certain that he takes his craft quite seriously.

....Cotten
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

If you want buckhorn(a.k.a Standard, prior to 1949), and I do too, you have to get Faber's because Tedd doesn't make them. I have a couple pics of the speedster and buckhorn, check 'em out.
Here's a set of Tedd speedster sitting on top of a set of OEM buckhorn. Buckhorn's reach back. Tedd's speedster ship real nice. All taped over the shank - w/ end screws. One of the nicest pieces I've ever pulled out of a box.
Here's the interior of the connector center-piece. Handsome construction :!: Heavy tube, not those thin-walled p.o.s, wide dresser bars that Mid-Cycle used to sell (my throttle spiral used to back the end screw out and the spiral would slide off in my hand...riding down the road. Reason? Their jobber made the shank too short and the end screw wouldn't bottom-out when tightened). Wasted.
Check a set out on the cover of Clymer's Panhead book. Longhorn dresser. That's all that was available in 1988.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:43 am, edited 9 times in total.
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

That's the best illustration of the difference between the two types of bars I have ever seen. Being a short guy, the Buckhorns are much more comfortable for me. Now VintageTwin, just sell me that set of bars on the bottom, and my problem will be solved. :lol:

Kent
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Thanks for the offer, but the buckhorns have a home on my '46 Knuckle-Glide. :D
Your experience with Tedd's bars seems to be the exception since I have heard some pretty bad things about them.
Some parts have gotten alot better. The handlebars are one of them. That Triangle H company (an H inside a soft radius triangle logo) in Taiwan that make the fork lock kit is ambitious. They even give you an extra rolled-pin for the tumbler case installation. Stanley® hinge (screws) doesn't even do that :!:
From what I see UPS deliver, the parts are getting better and they're becoming more expensive. And, some of the parts are just as bad and they're becoming more expensive.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

As I understand it, Faber will also take a bent set of springer type bars and replace both sides, while re-using the stock center section.
VPH-D
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

I received my handmade Buckhorn bars from Tom Faber and they are really beautiful. All of the internals are OEM, and the bars were ready to install. Each spiral was greased and fit perfectly. I installed the bars as received from Tom, and they are much more comfortable for a little guy like me than the Speedster bars.

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=526&i=pan006cw8.jpg][IMG
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Looking good. Do you have Tom's address to post? People might want a set. Buckhorn's are a much better cruising handlebar than speedster. For sure.
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

Actually, the goal of my restorations is to return the bike to as close to the way it came out of the factory as possible. Most of what you see is OEM, not necessarily original 57 but as close to it as I can get. The frame, motor, and many other parts are 57, but the wheels are 62, and the star hubs are OEM, but I don't know what year. I also used stainless spokes when I laced them (it is a rider). My biggest job is removing all the chrome parts that have been installed over the last fifty years (even if they are OEM), and replacing them with OEM of the right finish. It takes literally years to find the parts on eBay or other places. I use as few repro parts as I can.

I got very close to original on the last bike I did (see below). Which is a 1949 WL that was featured in the May 2003 issue of American Iron Magazine. It now resides in the the Shanandoah HD dealership museum. Rode it for about two years before I could let it go.

This is the link for Tom Faber who fabricated the Buckhorns.
http://www.fabercycle.com/

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”