Any tips or tricksfor handgrip removal from throttle sleeve?

Fastlane
Bikes: 51fl
66 flh

Any tips or tricksfor handgrip removal from throttle sleeve?

Post by Fastlane »

Anyone have any tricks? I need to get my original grip off my throttle sleeve so I can put it on my new throttle sleeve. Any way to remove and reuse the grip? I believe they have been on there 60 years! Help
rmcrh
Bikes: 86 FXRP Sidecar
76 BMW R90S
65 HD FLH
49 Whizzer
48 Chief Goulding Rocket Sidecar
46 HD UL
32 HD V

Re: Any tips or tricksfor handgrip removal from throttle sle

Post by rmcrh »

There was a great string method in the knowledge section. Seek and yea shall find
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Since the only info is under your name I will guess that it is for your '51. Technique varies for different styles of grip sleeves. Is your the standard one with a chrome collar captive on it? If so a blow dryer or heat gun is your friend. It will help soften and expand the grip. Sometimes this in itself is enough to let it slip. Keep the sleeve on the bars and all connected so that you can apply twisting force to the grip. If you can gently pry the edge of the grip up slightly spray WD40 or brake cleaner/contact cleaner into the gap which will dissolve any old adhesive. Work slowly and continue to add spray as you work your way down the grip. Are your grips hard plastic or rubber? There are both types that commonly appear on those bikes. the plastic ones respond well to the heat. the rubber tend to have a bit more flex and respond well to the spray. Some combination of the two will get them off!
Robbie
Fastlane
66 flh

Post by Fastlane »

Yup, on my 51. They are hard rubber. And yes they have the sleeve with the collars on them. I will try the heat and lube trick. Thanks!
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

WD40 works everytime.Just pry it up a bit and stick the red tube that comes with it in and spray.You can twist it loose after a while.
Fastlane
66 flh

Post by Fastlane »

Hog54 wrote:WD40 works everytime.Just pry it up a bit and stick the red tube that comes with it in and spray.You can twist it loose after a while.
Yup, that's how I did it. First one took 10 min second one took 60 seconds. Thanks for the tips guys!

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”