HANDLBARS FOR 50 FL USING TURN SIGNAL SWITCH (DH-50)

FLHMAN880
Bikes: 50 FL

HANDLBARS FOR 50 FL USING TURN SIGNAL SWITCH (DH-50)

Post by FLHMAN880 »

I HAVE BEEN RESTORING 50 FL FOR 6 YEARS NOW. I AM GOING TO ORDER A SET OF 49-50 HANDLEBARS FROM TOM FABER. I HAVE A DH-50 SWITCH AND THE CORRECT GUIDE BULLETS AND THE TURN SIGNAL INDICATOR LIGHT FOR TOP OF RISER CLAMP. THE TURN SIGNAL SWITCH HAS THROUGH THE BAR WIRING. A FEW PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME THAT THEY THINK THAT THE HARLEY TURN SIGNAL KIT THAT CAME OUT IN 1950. (HAS A 50- PART NUMBER) WAS EXTERNAL WIRING. THE DH-50 SWITCH THAT I HAVE IS FOR INTERNAL WIRING. I TEND TO DISAGREE THOSE "PEOPLE", BUT I AM NOT SURE. I WANT TO ORDER THE BARS, BUT DONT KNOW IF THEY HAVE TO BE DRILLED AND TAPPED FOR THE SWITCH OR NOT. I ONLY WANT TO DO IT ONE TIME AND NOT HAVE TO DRILL/TAP/ MODIFY AFTER THE FACT. CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN ME ABOUT THIS WHOLE TURN SIGNAL KIT/ HANDLEBAR SET-UP? THANKYOU, GEORGE
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Re: HANDLBARS FOR 50 FL USING TURN SIGNAL SWITCH (DH-50)

Post by cdndewey »

I believe they were external. The signal lamp kit was a dealer installed accessory that could be put on anytime, so they're not about to be ripping anything out of the handlebars to drill and tap new holes, and then reassemble everything again.
FLHMAN880

Post by FLHMAN880 »

[quote="cdndewey"]I believe they were external. The signal lamp kit was a dealer installed accessory that could be put on anytime, so they're not about to be ripping anything out of the handlebars to drill and tap new holes, and then reassemble everything again.[/quote THANKS FOR REPLY. LIKE I SAID, THE CORRECT SWITCH FOR THAT DEALER INSTALLED ACCESSORY IS A DH-50. THAT SWITCH HAS INTERNAL WIRING. I HAVE ONE. STILL UNSURE, HOW ABOUT YOU COTTEN?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

You are aware that DH50 switch housings appear in both internal and external styles, right?
Robbie
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Just for more info, here is the pic from the accessory catalog,

And the first page of the installation instructions,

Both showing and referring to outside the bar wiring. And the first dealer order form that lists factory installed directional signals is '54 which would have internal wiring if ordered with them.
All installations prior to that are dealer or owner. You can draw your own conclusions. I know what mine are!
Robbie
PS, I can photograph both switch housings (I have them) and scan the '54 sales order if need be!
FLHMAN880

Post by FLHMAN880 »

RUBONE wrote:You are aware that DH50 switch housings appear in both internal and external styles, right?
Robbie
NO I WASNT AWARE OF THAT, AND THANKS FOR THOSE ACCESORY BOOK PAGES. ITS CLEAR IN THE PICTURE THAT THE WIRES ARE RUN ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BARS. I GUESS I CAN DRILL THE SWITCH TO MAKE THE WIRES RUN EXTERNALLY. THANKS AGAIN.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Stop! You don't drill anything. It's two wrap around clamp bands that secure the switch. I will post a pic when I get in the shop in the morning. Bob L
FLHMAN880

Post by FLHMAN880 »

Robert Luland wrote:Stop! You don't drill anything. It's two wrap around clamp bands that secure the switch. I will post a pic when I get in the shop in the morning. Bob L
OK BOB, THANKS, I HAVE SOME NOS CLAMP BANDS WITH THE TWO DIMPLES, ITS ALL GETTING A LITTLE CLEARER NOW. THANKS AGAIN, GEORGE
FLHMAN880

Post by FLHMAN880 »

FLHMAN880 wrote:
RUBONE wrote:You are aware that DH50 switch housings appear in both internal and external styles, right?
Robbie
NO I WASNT AWARE OF THAT, AND THANKS FOR THOSE ACCESORY BOOK PAGES. ITS CLEAR IN THE PICTURE THAT THE WIRES ARE RUN ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BARS. I GUESS I CAN DRILL THE SWITCH TO MAKE THE WIRES RUN EXTERNALLY. THANKS AGAIN.
HI AGAIN ROBBIE, IN YOUR OPINION, IF I WERE TO ORDER THE CORRECT BARS FOR MY 1950 FL, THEY WOULD NOT HAVE THE REINFORCED CENTER, AND RIGHT ABOVE THE LEFT HANDGRIP THEIR WOULD BE TWO INTERNALLY WIRED SWITCHES, ONE BEING THE HORN AND ONE BEING THE HI /LO HEADLIGHT SWITCH. AND ON THE RIGHT SIDE JUST ABOVE THE THROTTLE, THEIR WOULDNT BE ANYTHING. DOES THAT SOUND CORRECT TO YOU? THANKS AGAIN, GEORGE
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

Sounds correct to me. There would only be a hole on the right side if it was ordered as a Police bike for the speedometer lock as far as I know.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

HI AGAIN ROBBIE, IN YOUR OPINION, IF I WERE TO ORDER THE CORRECT BARS FOR MY 1950 FL, THEY WOULD NOT HAVE THE REINFORCED CENTER, AND RIGHT ABOVE THE LEFT HANDGRIP THEIR WOULD BE TWO INTERNALLY WIRED SWITCHES, ONE BEING THE HORN AND ONE BEING THE HI /LO HEADLIGHT SWITCH. AND ON THE RIGHT SIDE JUST ABOVE THE THROTTLE, THEIR WOULDNT BE ANYTHING. DOES THAT SOUND CORRECT TO YOU? THANKS AGAIN, GEORGE
George,
That would be right. But the riser link needs to be on there as well for '50.
Robbie
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Robert Luland wrote:Stop! You don't drill anything. It's two wrap around clamp bands that secure the switch. I will post a pic when I get in the shop in the morning. Bob L
Bob!
The difference between the 2 switch housings is the hole in the front of it for the wires to come out. You can drill a hole in the housing that was intended for internal wires through the bars and "convert" it. The housings had a flat side and a curved side, the hole for the wires is on the curved side. It is the same switch used for the spotlights before they offered turn signals, the internal difference is that it has a center "off" position. Here is a pic of the spotlight switch on my '47.
mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Mike, In the first post he stated he was restoring. If you drill. your screwed. I'm very much aware of the differances in the switches. This is why I said don't Drill! Something else just came to mind. Wouldn't spotlight be one postion/two wire were signals would be two position with three wires? I have a piece of Harley paper around here the states to eliminate one wire. Bob L
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Bob,
I may have been wrong about the center "off" on the spotlight switch, I can't remember, I'm old. But, I'm pretty sure it does. Anyway, the thing I do remember is that it is definitely a 3-wire switch, I have the original set of 1947 wiring diagrams (not reprint) and the accessory diagram shows it wired that way and it also says it in the text portion. Up is headlights, down is passing lamps, you can't have both on at the same time. I'm also not sure if 1947 was the only year they did that, maybe Robbie or one of the other guys knows more about this than I do.
My '49 FL has signals, I drilled a hole in the bars and ran the wires internally, I have the wrong bars on it anyway and it was a cleaner installation that way. That switch definitely has 3 detents with a center "off"
here's the '47 wring diagram: (click on the picture to get full size version)
mike

beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Post by beets »

Switch hijack here. My 56 has the external switch and it has no center "off" position. The switch appears to be original and feels like the hi/lo head light switch. I disconnected the signals shortly after buying the bike due to the right signal turning on by it's self.

Can I wire in the correct switch(if I can find one) without butchering the wiring?

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”