Correct Handlebars?

kehughes
Bikes: "50 FL Panhead, '47 WL, '57 165cc

Correct Handlebars?

Post by kehughes »

Im looking for the correct handlebars for a '50 and want to make sure to get the right thing. It was my understanding that '49 was the only year to have the bars with no center sleeve support and that 50-53 were the same. However, I have seen some folks identify the '49 bars as '49 AND '50. Could someone help clarify what I need?

Thanks
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Correct Handlebars?

Post by RUBONE »

I think it would depend on your engine number. The change was within the model year so an early number would likely be non reinforced and a late one would be. Mid year is a crap shoot. Not sure if the changeover engine number is recorded anywhere. I don't find the info in the shop dopes, at least not so far.
Robbie
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

My advice would be to go with the reinforced bars and not worry about the mid-year changes or the early/late serial number nightmare. The reinforcement was a good idea, that's why they changed it from the original design. That section of the bars is under a cover anyway, who's gonna know unless they are really anal and peeking under your cover?

jmho

mike
kehughes
Bikes: "50 FL Panhead, '47 WL, '57 165cc

Post by kehughes »

It is very early '50, but I was thinking the same thing Flathead. I want it to be correct but I also plan to ride it.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”