Buddy Seat Spring Yoke

64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Buddy Seat Spring Yoke

Post by 64duo »

This thread got lost during the outage last week. A few helpful pictures were posted and good discussion. Anyone care to help re-create it?
Orientation of spring yoke, and positioning of spring yoke hook on the fender.
Jonathan 64FLH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I have a couple of simple questions because I am puting a buddy seat on mine . Why two holes in " T " bar where post connects ?(diff. adj.sizes of riders ? ) I assume the the link goes to the rear like in your photo ? It also looks like my post bushing is a little sloppy , how much slop should be there if any at all, its been a long time since I have ran a pogo seat . It also looks like I have the wrong 'T " bar bushing at the pivit end and I see that there diff. part numbers for Diff. years , how much diff. are they? Is it a fatter shank and down threaded ( 3/8 shank & 5/16 thread ? )
64duo
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

My T-bar connects to the front hole, not sure the purpose of the back hole. Also the "plunger link" would need to point straight up, not back like in my photo. Otherwise the up & down action of the spring ladden seat post wouldn't function correctly. The bushing, like other bushings, should have any slop, just enough for a film of lubrication. The bolt & bushing, i'm not sure.
Jonathan 64flh
azpaul50
Bikes: *

Duo64 - this one?

Post by azpaul50 »

I thought panhead had fired me or sumpthin so I didn't check back on Forum 2. Is this the pic? I think the second hole is for a seat that is locked down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Duo64 - this one?

Post by panhead »

azpaul50 wrote:I thought panhead had fired me
No, you're still on duty.
azpaul50

More

Post by azpaul50 »

Oh., on duty?....what time is chow? Was looking at my Clymers and it shows the rear hole being used for a solo seat. Maybe that is it? Meanwhile, someone some time ago mentioned the heavier plunger. This book says the heavier spring seat has the letter "D" stamped into the upper end of the seat post plunger.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I now see how every thing goes and have been using the buddy seat for a couple of weeks now and I love it, but the old lady who has gained weight since 1976, says it cuts into her behind ( back railing ), I don;t remember her saying that back then.
I have the late mod. helper spring set up and will be going to the org. helper springs later on , They may not work better but will be put on for org. look.
The heaver (post )spring set up can be gotten from NOS or Bills Custom Cycles or JP. cycles and I will probably just put an old valve spring between post and seat to keep it from bottoming out with me solo and no helper springs down.That was a trick I got from the other sight when I asked about the bottoming out , I just dont remember my other one doing that , maybe it had the HD springs in there , I have no idea. When ridig double , it sure is interesting riding that far up front . Every one says it looks uncomfortable seeing me up front that far, but its not .
azpaul50

buddy Seat riding

Post by azpaul50 »

Duo64 - Jeez....I really don't like riding that far up double. I feel waaaay overcenter. Blondie complains that she is hanging on for dear life and I tried to install those "U" handles. They won't go on if your seat has a skirt and backrail. But....even with both of us being a little "porky", the seat rides way high....never close to bottoming out. It is hard to go to the Duo after riding the Road King.....everything feels so loose. I'm waiting for my Topper to arrive.... :P , then my problems will be solved!! :shock:
64duo
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

When I got the bike the owner before me had some issues with the front of the buddy seat rubbing against the gas tanks and leaving a worn spot thru the paint where the front edge would contact the tanks, actually it probably even put a slight dent into the tanks on top. I'm not sure why that happened, I havent put it all back together yet, but with new paint, i don't really want contact there. Pictures of other bikes make the front of the buddy seat seem like it sits off the tanks by a good margin. Anyone have any thoughts?
I'm running I belive original 3.5 gal tanks, new springs in the pogo, and correct numbered t-bar. Anything I'm missing here?
Thanks Jonathan
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

64duo
I put the newest photo( as soon as the main man lets it fly ) of my newly installed buddy seat , under 47pan, I have 5gal. repop tanks and the 65 and later helper spring set . AS you can see by the photo ,I have room , I don't know if the fives make a diff. or not , maybe a worn out pivot bushing or wrong one ?
azpaul50

No Rub Spot

Post by azpaul50 »

Nope...I don't have any rub spot on my tanks...3.5 gal size. As it sits, there is a good clearance of maybe 5/8". Duo....I've changed out my seat from the all white to a black and white. With the white back rest, it looks like a B/W saddle shoe combo! :lol: I'll take some mo' pics one of these days. Right now, I have to hide everything I bought on eBay before my girlfriend comes home from Colorado on Saturday. If I appear on Oprah as an abused man in disguise, you'll know why!!!
64duo
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

fourthgear wrote:64duo
I put the newest photo of my newly installed buddy seat
4thgear,
cant see any photos in the gallery or elsewhere, Am I looking in the wrong place?
Jonathan
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

DSCN00290061.JPG
azpaul50

Stop light bracket

Post by azpaul50 »

Duo - I notice in the picture, the 4-light tail light/licence bracket with handles. I've got one of those that was on the bike but took it off since the "new" tail lights began with '63. Point is the former owner drilled new holes in his license plate for it to fit on this assembly's (license plate) back plate. Meanwhile, I got a Historic Vehicle plate and don't want to drill either it or the "OEM" back plate. What did you do on your bike about this problem?

Return to “Seat”