How come I cant adust my pan seat t-bar?

neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

How come I cant adust my pan seat t-bar?

Post by neilw »

I thought the 2 holes in the t-bar was to add more or less cushion to the ride , maybe not .When I push the t bar onto the top of the seat post only one hole fits ,thats the one that the " plunger link " has to be straight up and down to push the pin through.. I have 2 slightly different tbars ,one has a casting no. of 51912-35 I'm going to send a few photos along if I can.. You can see minor differences between the 2 ,the slot in the center is pointed on the ends on one .If they use sand to cast these in the one with the casting numbers seems more crude than the other .. I can't find that part number in any of my books 51911-29 is the cross bar thats rivited on..thats the closest I found..
The photos will show how the mounting position wont quite line up the hole ,but in the vertical position it lines up..rear position . So if its not suposed to line up ,why is it there ? it seems theres only one post and one t bar .Oh yeah the other tbar is the very same when trying to lone it up. I treid turning the seat post 180 but its the same..
Neril;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: How come I cant adust my pan seat t-bar?

Post by Robert Luland »

If I remember correctly. The rear hole is for WLA 45. The seat tee was made to fit all twins. The early tee up to 50? has a casting of X9. Then started the numbered one you have. The ones later in the 60s and up had no number. Bob L
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

Robert Luland wrote:If I remember correctly. The rear hole is for WLA 45. The seat tee was made to fit all twins.
Bob L
My recollection as well.
Is that the correct positioning of the pin retaining clip? I struggled with that for a while before giving up and installing a bolt.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Yes, that clip is on right. When pulled down in front and the pin installed spring pressure keeps it engaged in the groove in the pin.
Robbie
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

Post by neilw »

Thanks guys .I now rest in peace ,the confuasion is gone ..lol..
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Just for clarity,

'42 and later WLAs did not run the same seat T.

According to Palmer's,
There were six different Ts, not counting VLs.

....Cotten
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

according to my research the '39 thru '41 wla had the long seat T and some even had buddy seats.

after '41 thru '45 the wla had the very short T. i read somewhere this was to move the rider forward, possibly to accomodate the radio pack that was never used.

i find my wla with the short T very comfortable and pleasant to ride.

john
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

John,

I find my WLA just to be the opposite........

Uncomfortable, and just hard to get used to.........once I changed the seat t to the long one..instant change.

And I just got her out of the shed, three primer kicks.....and she fired right up after sitting all winter in a unheated shed.

Isn't the first ride of the year the greatest thing.....even if only a couple of miles.

George

Return to “Seat”