correct saddle and bags

lennyg1954
Inactive member
Bikes: 94 road king,66 pan shovel, 54panhead fle

correct saddle and bags

Post by lennyg1954 »

HELLO EVERYONE
i am currently restoring a 54 fle that is about 85% original and i want to keep it that way. i want to get the seat and bags re done and need some help. i think the seat is proper for that year , but i can not find any info on the bags i have. i have reviewed palmers book and see nothing like i have . the scooter was purchased for the chicago dept and was purchased b a retiring officer, maybe it had hard bags when ordered,then whatever year the officer retired he bought current year bags.i am thinking to use saddles by heilman out of austin tx, i am only sisty miles out of austin so i can visit them and check out their quality. would appreciate any comments.

LENNYG1954
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: correct saddle and bags

Post by RUBONE »

Worsham Castle is the best, Michael's products are as accurate as possible and he has all the factory information from the guys who built them for H-D when new. And I don't know if you have been keeping up with Heilman's but it is not the source it once was.
Robbie
http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bboard ... hp?t=15665
Last edited by RUBONE on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Oh, and Lenny,
Post a picture of the bags. There were several types used in that time period including the first year for Royalite bags on a Big-Twin.
I also have a '54 FLE.
Robbie
lennyg1954
Inactive member
Bikes: 94 road king,66 pan shovel, 54panhead fle

Post by lennyg1954 »

thanks robbie for the reply,i tried to post pics but file was to big. do not know how to shrink the file . contacted admin panhead and he is trying to help me do it right.
thanks
lennyg1954
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Not sure here if ypu want to go with police equiptment or civillian. As some here have said, the Royalite Bubble bag was used. Also, in all my 54 broshures and adds, pretty well all were offered with Royalite Bubble bags in black only. . That is the first year for FL's and offerered only in black with the speedwing or speedball emblem on em. The speedwing emblem was also on the buddy seat if you intend to use one. I got my buddy seat from V-Twin and its pretty good, does and looks the part. My 54 is in the gallery titled "54 FL Anniversary Yellow". If you want police there is also pics in black and white if you search the gallery section in this forum., possibly try "54 police" but it is in there....Joe
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

For aftermarket royalites, you could try these

http://www.bbreproductions.com/prices.htm

Return to “Seat”