seat information

nels
Bikes: 56 FLH

seat information

Post by nels »

can any one ID this seat, as in what year it is correct for I think it is maybe a 61 also wondering if it would fit 65 frame
Thanks for looking Nels

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0087256132
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: seat information

Post by RUBONE »

The seat will fit any Harley Tee from about '33 up. However, it believe it is correct for '70 to about '75. Not correct for any early 60's models which used smooth tops.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Oh, and by the way, how many do you want for $350.00???
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Ask the seller for the date code. They were stamped in yellow on the back, although from the pics there doesn't appear to be one.
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

That is a nice looking seat. I can't ID what year the shoulder bolts are, from the pictures. "65 had I think one year only, with a unique collared bolt, and locking mount on the frame. If the chrome is good on the rail, with all you are getting there, that is actually a good price. The info on late Pans/early Shovels is sketchy, at best, so I can't say what year, but I think that design is Shovel era. But unless you are doing an exact original, who cares?
Mike
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

seems kinda pricey to me.

Bought one for my '54 off eBay last year for $45.00. came with everything except the helper springs. Cost me $85 to have it recovered in a smooth heavy leather by a local auto seat cover guy and $25 to have the rear railing re-chromed. Painted the pan in a satin black paint. of course I had to do some legwork but that's part of the fun for me and for about 1/2 I got exactly the seat I wanted. Just saying...
nels
Bikes: 56 FLH

Post by nels »

Thanks for all your input
I think I will wait, I have a very original 65 FLH with a shovelhead seat now, will keep my eyes out for a good 65 seat
I have a good rail but need the rest, I made up a seat for my 56 and used a 63 rail that I had rechromed, a 56 pan that I powdercoated and then I had it recovered but came out very spendy
I also need the pogo and buddy spring set
Thanks Nels
Pomike
Inactive member

Post by Pomike »

Chromed a seat rail for $25????? When, 1950? I sent one to Browns, with some other parts. They didn't even do it. I didn't ask why, but I figure they must have thought I was crazy, to want an $80 part chromed for probably twice, or three times that amount. Where I live, anymore, if the chrome isn't good, I just pass, unless it is something just to run, and I can paint it. Is it alright to say I hate government regulations?
Mike
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Post by hydra74 »

here's an exemple of the date code stamped on the back like panz4ever mentioned
it's a seat made in 1975
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

nels, if you find a seat at a reasonable price, Michael at Worsham Castle does great seat work. You looking for a correct date-coded seat or one that is period correct - smooth, not pleated top?
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

Pomike wrote:Chromed a seat rail for $25????? When, 1950? I sent one to Browns, with some other parts. They didn't even do it. I didn't ask why, but I figure they must have thought I was crazy, to want an $80 part chromed for probably twice, or three times that amount. Where I live, anymore, if the chrome isn't good, I just pass, unless it is something just to run, and I can paint it. Is it alright to say I hate government regulations?
Mike
Marra's in newark, nj. He seems to charge a lot more if you send it to him but if you walk it in (he's 20 minutes from me) he barks out "come back in a coupla days" and don't dare ask him a price. Show up a few days later and most stuff he'll just say "gimmie 25 bucks". Last thing I had chromed there was about 18 months ago, outer primary from my Shovelhead and he charged me $40. It's not "show" quality but better then any of the "newer" HD factory chrome for sure. I'm happy with his work and prices.
Pomike
Inactive member

Post by Pomike »

That sounds great Little Al. It used to be like that around here, but not anymore. They just busted another person doing chrome work here last fall. You know, EPA, OSHA BS. You didn't say if the work he does includes all of the prep. And if it isn't show quality, then what exactly is it? I have been to a few different places, and they all seem to have almost exactly the same price anymore. Just like a lot of the junkyards are hooked up by computer. oh well............. Mike
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

What I mean is sometimes in very small creases (nooks & crannies, lol) or whatnot the chrome is not polished up perfect. if I was paying premium prices I'd demand just about perfect work. I have stuff chromed by him for years and never had anything pit, flake, etc. and I'm pretty much talking about my daily rider ('83 Shovel). I don't have any show (off) bikes. I ride what I have.

He'll take care of minor stuff but ya wanna bring it to him pretty good. I sand/grind/whatever out and real marks, pits, etc before I bring it but anything light I don't worry about, he'll just do take care of it.

Maybe he's flying under the radar, maybe he's grandfathered into older NJ laws, I have no idea, just know you walk in right into the very large tanks room holding your breath and come back & pick up with a smile.

Return to “Seat”