Alternatives to pogo

hd51fl

Alternatives to pogo

Post by hd51fl »

Are there any viable alternatives to a pogo for a solo seat? I am tired of riding on the frame and want more than springs. If there is something that will provide more comfort, I will try it, other wise I will use the pogo. Thanks,
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Alternatives to pogo

Post by Cotten »

hd51fl!

A Factory solo seat upon a properly setup "pogo" is as comfortable as you can get.
So your question is unclear: "I am tired of riding on the frame. "
By all means install a serviceable seatpost!
If you over-load it and bottom out, then the Factory design allows you to apply the Buddy assist spring assembly. This is a bit stiff for most rider's ballast, but if yer big,.... yer big.
An intermediate solution to a weak seatpost is to toss a common motorvalve spring over it.

....Cotten
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

HD51, I just put a new V-Twin heavy duty seat post on my 51. It's gonna have to wait till spring to check out the ride but i'm sure it will be better than the coil spring solo I had on there. It may not look as cool,and the ape hangers will probably have to go too! But it will look stock, and thats a new look for me. I'm also thinking my backbone will like the smooth ride! On my 49 I found an old seat post and installed it with just one spring on the lower end so it was real weak ,then mounted the solo seat bracket that usually mounts to the frame to the top of the pogo, the rear of the solo seat was on the two coil springs. This made for a strange feel where all three corners went up and down. Once I got used to it it rode real nice! And it looked good! Mike
58Bobber
Inactive member
Bikes: '58 FLH

Post by 58Bobber »

Surely, "may not look as cool" is a VERY subjective position to take. I LOVE the old look of HD's with Solo seats set up with pogo's...I use a pogo set-up with heavy duty springs, and it IS, as Cotten suggests, the most comfortable ride I've EVER had!!!!!! Rode this way, way back when on my Indian Chiefs and got used to it....I say, don't judge something before you try it....your weight will compress the pogo somewhat... eliminating whatever "non-cool" look you think exists!!!
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

try the stock set up, mine rides nice. i'll never switch back!

john
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

you can find OEM springs on ebay.
I ran springs that I scrounged up for years,
then I got OEM for about 20.00 and the ride was way better.

I can say this.....
even thou my 99 will slam thru the corners and is way faster.
for the over all ride going down the road, the pan, tractor seat is much better on my ass over long rides
says something about the comfort of this style seat

mbskeam
hd51fl

Post by hd51fl »

I have had a Mustang seat with no springs on this thing for years. I have for the most part limited riding it to no more than 50 miles at a time. However, I am planning on doing considerable more riding this summer.
I have been haunting ebay looking for a pogo. I saw a pan for sale on there that had either an air or hydraulic shock mounted in place of the pogo. I am curious as to how it works. Since I am going to be buying the pogo, and this old scoot is not stock anyway, I thought if there was an alternative I might give it a try.
I'm about 180 lbs, so I know a pogo with a heavy spring will carry me.
How does the V-Twin pogo compare to a good stock pogo. Thanks, Mike
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

HD51fl, I sent panhead a shot of my 49 with a solo seat mounted to the seat post in front and coils in back. It rode smooth but kinda unstable. Mike
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

hd51fl

Post by hd51fl »

I surely thought I had replied to this last night. I must be getting senile. Anyway, thanks for the replies and photos. I most likely will put a pogo with a heavy duty spring in this old girl and see how she rides.
She has been through several incarnations and will go through another small one this spring. I'm gong for comfort this time as I am going to have quite a bit of time to ride. Mike
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

You will never go back to any type of frame mounted seat once you go pogo, some with short legs don't care for them much . I run the buddy seat and after the frame mounted seat , it 's like riding on air. I have as was mentioned ,an old valve spring between the frame and seat mount to keep it from bottoming out on my rear fender .(hay, I'm trying to loose weight , OK)
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I agree, I too have an old Chevy Valve spring on my pogo (adds character) ;D & is like floating along. Rides better than the FLHR.
panhead george
Bikes: "48 panhead,"06 streetglide,
"97 sportster

Post by panhead george »

Another thing that worked out real nice for my 215# ass was using a heavy die spring at the bottom in place of the short stocker. They come in various tensions and will last for ever as they are made for stamping out parts on a press. You can get them at a good industrial hardware store or from McMaster-Carr.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I can say this, The pogo is one comfy ride--I have been on my frame for 24 yrs!--First seat was plywood,1/2inch foam & old leather jacket to finish it off.-After 2yrs. of that I finally got my hands on a Mustang & a NEW one at that!--& We been on it that way forever--hell its still that way!--BUT I rode my buddys 45 /w pogo & DAM it was smooth!---The older I get the sweeter it looks :lol: ,Maybe ill make one from a screendoor closer & shove it down the hole, see what happens :lol: ,maybe with 2 valve springs ill get it right :lol: ---c-mon just kidding!--I want a pogo set-up bad!---RICHIE

Return to “Seat”