Solo seat supplier

62trvler

Solo seat supplier

Post by 62trvler »

I picked up a new solo seat from J&P and am not happy with it. It seems the leather is very thin and I believe it should have been like saddle leather. Does anyone know of a supplier that make a heavy leather solo ?
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Re: Solo seat

Post by Kurt »

We've got em. In black & brown and now a new KR/WR model. Been doing saddles for over 30 years.

Kurt

Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

Your other option would be to buy an old original seat pan (lot of them around as ww2 bikes all had the same seat pans as our FL's) and recover it. Thats what I did. It costed me double but in the end I have an original seat.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Pantony!

Most of us reserved the term "original" for un-restored hardware.

A premium quality seat restoration can occasionally exceed $480 after you supply a seatpan. For some unique variations, it is your only choice.

Original seats have become quite precious.

....Cotten
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

My seat for my 49 EL came from my dad's 46 flathead. The seat was OEM and the leather and filling/liner was trash. Sent it to Worsham Castle Leather. This guy is the absolute best at his trade...think Headhog and you will know that he is the equivalent. They do seats as well as saddle bags. He took pop's seat and included all the original nickel buttons and glass jewels in the seat he restored for me.

Granted it is no longer original, but it is something that it is very usable and something that I can put my arse on and ride for a very long, long time
62trvler

Post by 62trvler »

Thanks for the info. I would like an original but period correct would be fine also. I just want a quality seat that will last and not the POS I got in the mail. With the one I ordered I'm afraid a large bug strike may just rip it to shreds.
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

Cotton; that's what I did with mine after i bought a brand new "copy" and I didn't like it, and your right one the money on how much it will cost, I paid $70 for the seat pan on e-bay and I think it was $400 to recover it with the original looking trim and such.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

if you have a post 55 bike harley still sells the seat. i got mine for less than 200.

john
62trvler

Post by 62trvler »

Really, that's interesting. I'll have to check into that.

Return to “Seat”