Seat post

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Seat post

Post by fourthgear »

Description: is there any adj. on the springs?

I just got a new seat post assem. and is there any adj. on the springs ? When I sit on it it just bottoms out . I know they make heavy springs for it , do I need to change the spring set ? I do weigh about 240 # , I don't remember changing springs on stock bikes before , unless they were all heavy duty from the factory. Unless I'm just so much of a fat ass now, may be I sould drink less beer , DAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cotten

Re: Seat post

Post by Cotten »

FourthGear!

Adjustment is minimal to none.
The heavier springs aren't enough either.
Maybe some die springs.
Tradition is to ride with the assist springs up all the time, or get an old valve spring and slip it over the post for an overload. Or both.

....Cotten
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

In such cases, as using the police style solo. I think adding a valve spring over the post adds a certain character, & nice smooth ride. ;D no bottoming out...
Unless you are going for correct resto..
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

the panhead 1948-1957 ridgid service manual has a page describing the seat post set-up for different rider weights, page52. looks like there are different springs shown for heavier riders. MW
kell

Post by kell »

A good supplier of heavy compression springs: AS Raymond http://www.asraymond.com get the catalog.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Thanks all for answers, I do ride with the helper springs up unless the old lady is on of course. I already screwed the rear fender paint job up test riding the seat. After frame mount seats for so long I feel like I'm on top of the world riding. I will have to look into changing the springs or just adding a old valve spring on the post.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Valve spring under the seat on the post works pretty good , my fat ass still hits once in a while I think , I can't really tell for sure , sure has a better ride , thanks Cotten & Sleeper and I may still check out the heavy spring set also.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Don't bother with the factory heavy spring set. Waste of money.
Get the springs from ASRaymond
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

sidecar
This may be a dumb question , but how would I know what spring to get . Sure I can get length and the inside and out side dia. , but what compression strength? I'm not totally sure I'm still hitting the fender any more, i will have to perform some kind of test to see if I am (mark fender) It sure does ride better.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

It's not a dumb question. I wasn't sure what ones to pick either until I started digging futher in to the specs of springs.

Take a look at ASRaymond CV1000 heavy duty compression springs. I forget the spring length of the pogo stick springs but, you need the CV1000 spring to fit in the 1 inch hole.
Pay attention to the free length of the springs so you get the right total length when you stack them on the pogo stick and then find the springs to match your weight in the load at length column. You'll need 250 lb or so springs. Springs do not multiply weight carrying capacity when you stack them but, they do provide more compression distance

Lemme know if you have problems. I have to leave for a couple hrs. I'll check this topic when I get back.
oldschool
Inactive member
Bikes: 47, 51, 54,55,56, 57, 59,64,65,66, 68,
47 Indian, 45 flathead

Post by oldschool »

8-)great info on the Heavy Duty springs...thanks Sidecar!
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Fourthgear-

You could tape (using blue painters tape) a piece of clay/ Play-doh to the fender at the area it was hitting & go 'Test Ride'
Hitting the worst bumps & potholes, you'll have evidence of either way then..

Return to “Seat”