PoGo NoGo, Can't get seat post out

dltimmons
Bikes: 1965 Electraglide
2011 FLHXXX

PoGo NoGo, Can't get seat post out

Post by dltimmons »

Today, in an effort to lower the seat height on my 65 I decided to remove the seat post and see if I could adjust the height as some of the posts on here I've read, said was possible.

Removed the buddy seat, removed the nut and washer on the bottom of the seat post rod, underside of the frame, gave a sharp tug up on the T-bar, as per the instructions in the Service Manual, and almost dislocated my back.

I have used a wooden block, three foot pry bar, four ft. long 2X4 as a lever, etc., to pry up on the T-bar while attached to the post, and cannot get the post out of the frame.

I have read everything I can find in this forum, and in the knowledge base, and don't find any reason this post shouldn't break loose and come out.

If anyone can clue me in, to the secret to get this post out of the frame, I will be forever grateful.

DT
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: PoGo NoGo, Can't get seat post out

Post by RUBONE »

Is there any movement at all? Is there anything protruding into the tube, such as a coil mounting bolt that is too long, etc?
dltimmons
2011 FLHXXX

Post by dltimmons »

I don't see anything going into the seat post from the outside, except the grease nipple.

The top of the post rotates and I can turn it fairly easily, but it just turns in place, doesn't screw in or out.

While turning the post, the end of the rod through the bottom of the frame, doesn't turn.

The seat post goes down when depressed against the springs under it, as it should, and returns to normal height when weight is taken off of it. Just will not come up any higher, or come out of the frame pole that it is housed in.

DT
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

My fist thought was the same as Robbie's-- but since the seat post seems to function normally, it's probably not the problem.
HOWEVER--- Unless you remove each coil mount bolt and check, you will never know for sure. Wouldn't it be a shame to beat and beat on the thing and then find out later one of the coil mount bolts is too long. In fact, the bolts should not penetrate the frame tube, they should only be as deep as the thickness of the coil mount blocks. But I've seen a good share of frames that have holes there where they shouldn't.

With that said, I would tap on the bottom of the rod with a hammer, using a block of some kind to protect the threads. That will probably require some creative hoisting, or leaning the bike over onto it's side a ways....... Notice I said "tap", not "beat the ever-living crap out of it".

Good luck.
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

The grease zerk could also be too long!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Fill the tube with penetrating fluid of your choice and let it sit at least overnight. The seat at the dottom of the tube has a "D" shaped depression in it that accepts a matching "D" shaped flange/washer. It could be frozen in place.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

It's hard to believe anything could be rusty down there with all the grease used thru the years, I'd still try some penetrating fluid. Is the post snug in the bushing or can you spray past it?
flatboy1950
Bikes: 1948 Pan 61
1942 sv 74 x 4
1948 sv 74 x 1
1943 42U + sidecar with 6800 miles on the clock from new.

Post by flatboy1950 »

I have found the D shaped components mis-aligned & forced into place by tightening the nut ..... broaching new shapes into both components .... & jamming them in place !!

Flatboy.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

flatboy1950 wrote:I have found the D shaped components mis-aligned & forced into place by tightening the nut ..... broaching new shapes into both components .... & jamming them in place !!

Flatboy.

Yup. And that's why tapping up with a hammer will probably offer the best chance of breaking it loose.
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

My seat post has two nuts; you stated you removed one from the botom. Just a thought.

Good luck

John
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Panacea wrote:It's hard to believe anything could be rusty down there with all the grease used thru the years, I'd still try some penetrating fluid.
Well, sometimes they DO rust. Or the spring breaks into separate pieces and jams the jagged ends into the inside of the seat post on the frame. when that happens the pogo comes out HARD, but it will come out. Here is a picture of the mess that came out of my 31 VL.
good luck!
mike
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Also you gotta remember,,(yes they are greased!)-but over years & years of rain & washings,There is no WEEP for drainage!//That water will eventually RUST SOLID!---USE PENETRANT as was explained & TAP from bottom---Respectfully---Richie
dltimmons
2011 FLHXXX

Post by dltimmons »

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

I haven't had a chance to get back to this yet, other things going on right now.

When I do get back to it, I am going to put it on my lift, and get it up where I can get at the underside. My plan is to thread the nut back on the rod about half way, then see if I can break it loose with a lead headed hammer.

I think before I do that, I will see if I can get the grease zirk out of the post, and squirt it full of penetrating oil first. Let it set for a day or two, then try to break it loose.

I'll post my results, once I get ur done.

DT
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

DT,
It sounds like you're on the right track. In addition to what you mentioned, you might try threading the nut on so it's more or less fully engaged or about flush with the end of the rod and then put a sacrificial piece of metal between it and your hammer before you whack on it. I usually use a fairly heavy piece of brass. That way, when you whack on it with your hammer you are transferring most of the power of the blow to the rod but you're still protecting the threads on the rod. The extra heft of the sacrificial piece of metal seems to aid and give a little extra authority to the hammer blows. Another thing I've done in similar situations, although I've never tried it on a stubborn pogo, is to use an air-powered chipping hammer with a homemade bit in it to provide some extra driving power to push a stubborn part out, but to be honest, usually when I've gotten to that point the part has pretty much turned to shit. Good Luck!

Geo.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

Don't forget to give it a couple of whacks from above. Try to get the whole assembly moving.

john

Return to “Seat”