Buddy Seat Help _ springs for rigid

Mr Ed
Bikes: 1964 FL
2003 FLHTCUI

Buddy Seat Help _ springs for rigid

Post by Mr Ed »

100_1331.JPG
My rigid framed panhead has a buddy seat I love, but it bottoms out on the rear fender during extreme riding. I understand the post is sprung, and auxillary springs are often used to add support. I believe my post has all the stiffest springs installed and operates as such. My question is about the external springs. I have seen two types of spring pairs available. My seat in the pictures has two springs up underneath, but they don't seem to do anything. Also, for the other typr of spring which has a fender bracket, just how does that rod attach to the seat? It should rotate in a bushing? Can both types of external springs be used simultaneously?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Buddy Seat Help _ springs for rigid

Post by 1950Panhead »

but they don't seem to do anything.
Your springs need to swing down and attache to the frame to work, photo shows parked position.

Also, for the other typr of spring which has a fender bracket, just how does that rod attach to the seat?
The factory setup uses spring clips, between seat bracket and Tee.
The spring rod swings betwwen spring clips (in use) and a bracket on rear fender (parked).
Jerry
Mr Ed
2003 FLHTCUI

Post by Mr Ed »

There is no obvious attaching point on the frame. I must be in need of some hardware to connect the springs to the frame.
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

Those are the wrong springs for a rigid frame. Those are for....I believe 65 and later.

Your set-up will have a pair of clips that attach to the seat/T bar and the spring is attached to the fender with some support clips on the frame. It's kind of hard to explain. but I will go and find a link of the parts for you to look at.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Contact David Croft (440-458-8813) and he can supply springs for the seat post that will work with your weight. The auxiliary springs are not designed to be used by a solo rider, and the original springs in the post are often not enough for modern sized riders. The special springs David makes will cure your problem.
And Dewey is correct, those are swing arm frame springs on that seat (the entire seat is from the '70s).
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

The auxiliary springs you have on your seat are made to swing down and fit into small brackets that fit on the frame near where the rear shocks attach(on 1958-up frames).

The brackets look like this:
http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 848_142856

They won't fit a rigid frame, though.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I agree with all the above!--I have on quite a few occasions placed a chevy valve-spring on the post!--It helps if yer big & when running ruff roads it wont bottomout & rattle your teeth!---I heard of the guy that Rubone mentioned & He makes tuff springs -or whatever you need!--You can put those helpers on your rigid frame --just because there no braket don't mean you cant make or get one !---Respecfully--RICHIE 8)
Mr Ed
2003 FLHTCUI

Post by Mr Ed »

Thanks everyone, I believe the solution will be a mix of your recommendations. Since I really don't have faith in any helper spring being a permanent solution, and my bike is far from factory correct, I will first try the chevy valve spring on the post, then the custom spring maker, and lastly I will get a set of springs for the rigid and replace the helper springs on the seat. Perhaps I can trade my springs and hardware for a set of rigid frame springs and hardware with a forum member. Now to find an old chevy head or spring. I cleaned out all my old car parts last winter, that was a mistake.
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Post by 4pans1man »

MR ED,

THOSE SPRINGS ARE NOT THAT HARD TO FIND. TRY EBAY, OR A LOCAL SWAP MEET. I TURNED DOWN BUYING A SET AT THE VINTAGE DAYS, (MID-OHIO) THIS SUMMER. THEY WERE $20. I JUST DIDN'T FEEL LIKE CARRYING THEM BACK TO THE TRUCK. LIKE THIS FORUM, SWAP MEETS ARE GREAT WAY TO LEARN ABOUT EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING. JUST ASK?

.............TONY

AND A FENDER CLIP IS NEEDED.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boog
Bikes: 48 pan

Post by boog »

Ive experimented with countless spring types for my solo seat as i like it low to the frame but not hitting it . I settled on using the inner springs from my springer front end which are very stiff and give me the right feel
Mr Ed
2003 FLHTCUI

Post by Mr Ed »

So the valve spring is not large enough to fit over the post. However, I was able to cut a couple coils off the monoshock on my kid's 110 dirt bike and it fit just fine. Test ride so far is stiff ride but comfortable plus the seat no longer bottoms out on the fender. I think some of the problem was due to the mismatched swing arm seat on the rigid frame. BTW I put the monoshock back together and the kid never noticed.

Return to “Seat”