gas tanks?

darrylspanhead
Inactive member
Bikes: 58 swingarm panhead

gas tanks?

Post by darrylspanhead »

good morning! wondering what my options are for custom tanks for my panhead swing arm? i guess my question is if i go with a custom what are the things im looking for to know that it will fit my bike? measurement? building a bobber! running drag bars without risers or very short ones! i know that i need to be aware of hitting my tank when turning. i like the original tanks with the speedo..but can you cut those and mount them lower? will it interfere with where engine sits??
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Re: gas tanks?

Post by Hauula Pan »

Very limited options where the fatbob tanks are concerned. Before I restored my 52FL I did run a set of 5 gal. tanks and had to modify the lower mounts, also they barely cleared the Pan covers and air cleaner. Even the stock 3.5 gal. tanks are a tight fit clearance wise. Pretty much impossible to mount them lower. As for other style tanks there are plenty available in the after market but it would be a shame to butcher a nice stock frame. You would have to cut off the stock mounting tabs to run most of the old school style bobber, sportster, mustang or peanut thanks. If your frame is still intact and has the original mounting tabs I would recommend going with the stock fatbob tanks & a nice custom paint job. Besides my panhead I have a 1985 Softail that I run a set of custom painted fatbob tanks on with a set of pull back drag bars & get a lot of positive comments on it.
darrylspanhead
Inactive member
Bikes: 58 swingarm panhead

Re: gas tanks?

Post by darrylspanhead »

sweet thanks bro! yeah im not a fan of the peanut tanks! thatd be cool if you could send a photo of your bike with drag bars so i can get an idea of what youre talking about! thanks hauula pan!

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”