Bikes: 49 Pan
50 Pan
66 Shovel
66 ironhead
05 Custom
07 Nighttrain

1950 rear fender plus oil tank mounting question

Post by wingmen13 »

I have a 50 pan that I am rebuilding....and of course Im having some issues with the rear fender and oil tank mounting. Here are the culprits..

1. wishbone rigid frame (late 40s early 50s)
2. late model oil tank (with the ears for battery)
3. custom chrome repo hinge fender
4. several different mounting brackets

Itr is nearly impossible for me to mount the oil tank and fender together, I have used the early mount bracket for the lower part of the oil tank and the fender doesnt sit right, I have also used the ears on top of the oil tank, the top bolts go in fine, the ones connecting to the oil tank do not, in fact of the two I can only get 1 in.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

David
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 1950 rear fender plus oil tank mounting question

Post by RUBONE »

The ears on the top of the oil tank have nothing to do with mounting, they were merely for the battery hold down bolts to attach to when used on the swingarm frame! The proper bracket for the rigid is the curved angle bracket mounted on top of the oil tank and battery plate and bolted to the lower section of the fender midway from the lower mount behind the tranny and the clamps at the cross tube. Be sure to use the spacers on the front mounting bolts.
Be aware that the repop fender may or may not have the proper radius to fit!
Robbie
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Mount the fender first.
Mount the oil tank second.
There are two spacers between the tank and frame (like Robbie said).
Tighten the front tank bolts.
Then install the bracket between the tank and fender.
Jerry
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

You need this bracket http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson ... es&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that mounts on the back of the battery tray and make sure one side is curved.That goes against the fender.Some aftermarket ones dont have a curve.
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Post by hydra74 »

here are the parts for the oil tank mounting

oil tanks used in the hardtail frames don't have the ears showed on the picture

Hydra74
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

I have found that most of the after market angled brackets have the curve wrong and they don't fit properly. Also found a lot of the after market fenders aren't quite right either. Ones from V-twin come with predrilled holes and they're way off. This is the type of headache you can expect when using either after market parts or even when using mismatched OEM perts from different years. Things will have to be massaged & reworked. Anyone that expects to just bolt together a bike using after market & mismatched parts is living in a fantasy world.
wingmen13
Inactive member
Bikes: 49 Pan
50 Pan
66 Shovel
66 ironhead
05 Custom
07 Nighttrain

Post by wingmen13 »

Yeah I understand about massaging things...this aint my first bike. I have the pictured mounts and brackets. I think the holes just dont line up well. May have to break out the old step drill bit and open them up al little. Ill try mounting the fender first then the oil tank. Maybe Ill cut the ears off that oil tank as well so as not to have interference when mounting the fender.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

If your not doing a completely "correct" rebuild, try and save the tabs. It's real nice not having to chase after the "J" bolts when they drop down on ya....Mike
tschukojr
Bikes: 07-road glide ---50 fl

Post by tschukojr »

i just went thru all this with my 50 pan-3 times in the last year --after market hinged fender, at first tabbed, oil tank , but got a new one, BUT i found it easier, much easier, to get the oil tank in and out with the fender unbolted , or at the very least loose, then add all the bolts and cinch up individually, my rear fender does not line up right with the holes, and currently i don't have the very bottom single bolt in, can't get it in, need too lift the bike remove tire to drill, allso had to have the rear exhust pipe off-----i don't have any lifts , and can't lift it alone, , i dont belive the fender holes for the, curved tank braket are factory correct cause it seems it should be a bit higher, the clutch eliminater cable got very little room to sneak thruto the clutch actuating , and thye top of the arm rubs on the oiltank base plate ( bracket) arm--- it was a reall nusiance-------but i got it--practice----tony schuko
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

I dont know where my fender came from,but I do know my oiltank was v-twin.Maybe things fit better 15 years ago but I had no trouble bolting anything together.If you looked at my bike close you would think it came from the factory like that.The one thing I do remember though is put the oil tank in first.You will never get the tank in with the fender bolted in tight first.And dont forget to put the 1/2 inch spacers in the front bolts of the oiltank.I think 90% of all bikes I ever seen in bike mags and in person they forgot to put them in.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

I'm not sure if this goes without saying, but I'll add that you should toss in the rear wheel once you've got the fender in place before you move toward the oil bucket. You may find with the aftermarket fender that it won't be sitting in a good relation with the tire i.e. cocked a little to one side? I've had to dick with the fender braces on occasion to get it to sit right where I want it. Once you're happy then of course the oil bucket can be worked into place next.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”