peacock blue paint code

meadows
Inactive member
Bikes: 1976 triumph

peacock blue paint code

Post by meadows »

hello everyone,
i'm restoring a 1949 FL and was wondering if anyone knew the dupont color code for the peacock blue color. i'd like to buy directly from dupont. thanks, keith.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: peacock blue paint code

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Keith,
The factory DuPont codes are VERY proprietary and held closely by the folks that bought them from the MoCo. Peacock Blue, to me anyway, is not really a true blue color, its more of an agua green shade. The DuPont code, which I also believe is the factory code, is 18520. (don't tell anybody where you got this :lol: )
Run that number by your DuPont guy and see what you come up with. Let us know what you end up with and post a pic.

mike
DaveSwanson
Bikes: 1936 VLH, 1936 VD, 1956 FLH, 1956 KHK,

Post by DaveSwanson »

Call John Pierce. He will fix you up with the most accurate possible color.

http://www.freewebs.com/colorwrite/colors/1949.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Dave is correct, John Pierce at ColorWrite is a very good source for an accurate match to the OEM paint, but he's pricey. His stuff is good but you pay for it. Lonnie at Antique Cycle Supply is also a good bet, he's the one that bought the original codes from the MoCo, but he's pricey too. Again, you get what you pay for, top grade stuff for top dollar.

as I said, have your Dupont guy mix up a small can of 18520, see what you think. Do a little price comparison while you're at it, let us know what the difference is.

mike
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

If you have an original paint part that is not faded most paint shops have scanners.
Original cans of Harley paint show up on Ebay and at antique cycle meets.
I had a paint sample from Antique cycle and a paint sample from a can of Harley paint.
The Harley paint sample matched the original color.
The Antique cycle sample was close but not a perfect match.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Don't look now Folks,

But NO modern formulation of paint can ever match a historical original.

Different molecules reflect light differently, and this not only applies to the chemicals in paint, but platings and "pickles" (parkerizing) as well.

Good luck finding a full can of half-century-old paint.

Its only original once.
Thereafter, you might as well choose whatever suits your eye.

....Cotten
meadows
Inactive member

Post by meadows »

it does look like john pierce would be the way to go. i'm wondering if the amca judges would disqualify my motorcycle if there was a slight variation from the original color. i know they would for a totally wrong color. i have a color chip ordered from antique cycle. and i'll definitely look at that dupont color code. i appreciate your responses and will let you know what turns out. keith.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Keith!

The AMCA system is often inscrutable,
but they surely realize that a restored machine can only look like modern paints look.

At one time, silver paint was acceptible to replace cad and nickel plating. But now it is sniveled upon.
Powdercoating used to be all the rage, and now it is sniveled at too!

So to safely please the judges, Mr. Pierce's formulae should certainly do,
but beware that your own eye may well see it in a different light.
And beware of clear coats!

....Cotten
PS: I picked out what I thought was the closest "burgundy" for one of my '49s, and wouldn't you know it, it came out Indian Red
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

[quote="Cotten"]Keith!

The AMCA system is often inscrutable,

Cotten, that's a big word for a grease monkey

in·scru·ta·ble
   [in-skroo-tuh-buhl] Show IPA
–adjective
1. incapable of being investigated, analyzed, or scrutinized; impenetrable.
2. not easily understood; mysterious; unfathomable: an inscrutable smile.
3. incapable of being seen through physically; physically impenetrable: the inscrutable depths of the ocean.

but you're right, its a good description of the AMCA Judging policies. I've been an AMCA judge for quite a while and it always amuses me to see how much, or how little, the judging community is willing to accept. Paint has always been an issue, but I don't think that a reasonably close repaint using modern paint will be a problem, and should not be considered as a totally incorrect paint job (mandatory 6 point deduction). Original paint is a different story, just ask Dave Swanson, but we finally got that straightened out.

Keith,
Anyway, I just went through all the posts on this thread and noticed that I failed to mention that 18520 is a PPG code, when I posted that the original DuPont codes are closely held secrets I wasn't kidding and I forgot to mention that this code is very close approximation of the original. As I also mentioned it is not really blue, here's a link to a boat company that used it in 1998 or something but they have a good chip on their website, they call it "Teal". So, as Cotten has already said, buyer beware, and color is in the eye of the beholder. Also, paint chips viewed on your computer are not "true", the variables are immense. Here's a link to the chip:
http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/paint98.asp

bottom line: if I was judging a '49 that was nicely painted with PPG 18520 I would not deduct any points for "color". And, as Cotten has also said, go easy with the clear coat, a single stage paint, properly applied, is a lot closer to the OEM paint job. By the way, the "DBC" prefix for the PPG product is the single stage base coat.

sorry I got so windy, but painting your tins is a big concern and should be well thought out before you start.

jmho
mike
meadows
Inactive member

Post by meadows »

thanks for the input, i'll sure check that code. if the chip from antique cycle is a good one, i'll just have it matched as closely as possible. if not, i'll go with john pierce. i'd like to build it as accurately as possible, so i'm really trying to research everything out. OLD DUDE here in lilburn has been a tremendous help, especially with the correct fasteners. i'll bet i've looked at 100 google pages on the paint, and there's just not much out there. again, thanks for the info. it's truly appreciated.
49glide
Bikes: 1949 FL Panhead,1982 FLH Classic

Post by 49glide »

I have found numerous cans of original harley paint with good usable paint inside and actually have sprayed it. You could buy a 1949 in any color harley offered for an aditional charge so technically the AMCA should recognize that as long as it a 49 or pre 49 color. I have original sales tickets for 49's in azure blue flight red etc..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

One more thing to consider.
Do not apply too much paint.
The judges want to see the fender rivits clearly and not over sprayed.

From experience,
Jim

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”