Who makes the "best" re-pop front and rear fenders?

Paughco
Bikes: 1950 H-D FL, 2016 BMW S1000XR

Who makes the "best" re-pop front and rear fenders?

Post by Paughco »

Guys: I've had my '50 Pan since 1962. It was stock when we bought it for $400 from "this old guy." I rode it to high school. It was totally stock, with all sorts of cool options, like lights on the spokes, an air tank in the left saddle bag which could be filled up at a gas station, and went throuugh a solenoid valve to a diesel truck air horn (NO LIE!) mounted on the right side. Rode it all over the place. Heinous crash in '65 due to car making left turn. Took years to get it back together, using a '59 frame purchased from Bernies Harley Davidson in Belmont, CA for $100. Those were the days.

I've been riding it around as a chopper ever since. Converted back to a '50-era V-Twin frame back in '99 or so. Cobra seat, drag bars, but stock twice-tanks.

I find that as I become that "old guy," I want the comfort and improved ergonomics of the stock seat. Bought a T-bar, seat, heavy-duty springed pogo, etc. from Mike at Northwest Custom in Snoqualmie. Maybe I'll finally get to road test it today as soon as the streets dry!

This latest project reminded me of certain facts related to parts: OEM Harley parts will fit on almost any Harley with no modification required. RE-POP parts won't fit anything without a certain amount of work with hammers and files.

So here is my question: Who makes the "best" re-pop front and rear fenders, and even gas tanks (hand shift, please) for a '50 Pan? OEM parts would be the ultimate, but most of those I have seen at swap-meets are either rusty and cracked, or under some guys' arm on the way to the rear part of the cab of his pickup truck.

Thanks guys. I'll have to post a picture of my '50 Pan, but I don't want to blow this post.

Seeya
ATB
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: Who makes the "best" re-pop front and rear fenders?

Post by Robert Luland »

No ifs ans or buts about it. If you want quality USA made sheet metal: Larry Medwig 12118 Route #608, Concord, OH. 44077: 440-840-0819
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

@ATB: Welcome to the forum! Nice to see you made it over here from HED. :-) I too recently went back to the stock pogo, only in my case I made up a modified seat T that moved me back about 3 inches and down about 2, along with a smaller solo seat. Not sure I like it yet. While it is incredibly cushy compared to the old tiny thin solo on 3" springs, I don't like how high it sites and not feeling as low and "connected" to the bike as previously. I'm going to give it a fair shake (along with the factory tank shift I installed at the same time), but I'm just not sure yet...

@Robert: Does that gentleman have a website or a company name? I'd like to get more info on that. Might be in the market for a stock rear fender, once I get the axle plates repaired from thier choppage sometime in the 70's...

-Kuda
'49 panchop
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Kuda, Just call him. As far as I know Larry dosn't have a web sight. Maybe will get together at the Vous this year. Bob L
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

Robert Luland wrote:Kuda, Just call him. As far as I know Larry dosn't have a web sight. Maybe will get together at the Vous this year. Bob L
Ok, will do. Sadly, no Vous for me this year, I'll be down in San Antonio until that Friday, don't think I'll be able to make it back in time... :-(

-Kuda

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”