Gas Tank Emblems

VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Gas Tank Emblems

Post by VintageTwin »

The measurements are for the '54 script only. The '51-53 underbar is not available AM. The black primered tanks are OE. The bare metal are CCI.
The holes for the emblem are 2-5/16" below the TOP edge of the threaded hole for the tank shift gate. The script needs to be lower than the script and bar of the '51-53. You'll see later, in a pix comparison. It's not lower on the OE '54 tank, but the CCI tank has bigger diameter indentions for the shift gate and at the OE screw-line latitude, the script is too close to the indention. I cut a nylon string 5-1/8" long and taped it at the fill neck to just making contact with the neck. Then stretched it slightly, to make contact (intersect) at the latitude of the screw-line. This is the (easy) left tank. The right-side tanks are going to be more of a bear. Fewer reference points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:54 pm, edited 13 times in total.
VintageTwin

Mount Strips & Script

Post by VintageTwin »

You need to screw the script to the mount strip, then bend it. Don't let the bending take place at the "so.n" screw hole near the word "Davidson." As you can see, the chrome AM script needs to be bent with a little more kick at the "on" end of the word "Davidson. The stainless-steel script is OE. Am is chrome. The 3M backing is fuel resistant. The part number on the mount strip is the current OE part number. The mount plates are directional. The side with the front hole, 2" away from the middle hole, goes forward. The strip-end that has the back hole 4" away from the middle hole, goes towards the taillight. I have throughly investigated using a 300W soldering iron to attach the mounting strips without usng the adhesive tape, and there was too much OEM engineering to overcome without damage to the tanks. Thank you H-D Motor Co. for making the 3M adhesive-back emblems. Apply after the paint cures for about a couple months. More 3M Trim tape is available at NAPA #06384.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
VintageTwin

Right Tank Emblems

Post by VintageTwin »

To find a point of reference to align this emblem on an ocean-expanse of smooth metal, I used a piece of 5-1/8" nylon snap-line and cut it (stretched), to the exact length on the left tank first (which has the shift gate mount and easier reference points); heat melting the ends to stop fraying, I began at the middle (6 o'clock position) of the filler opening and taped the string to just touch the filler neck, then straight down the right tank and arrived at a pretty close position of latitude when compared to the AM left tank. The repop tanks are 3/4" fatter at the front than the OE '51-54 tanks. The filler necks on the AM tanks are taller than OE.
The front edge of the filler neck is directly above the end of the "n" in Davidson.
As you can see, the '54 script on the CCI tank is going to be at a lower latitude than the '51-53 bar & script.
This gas tank emblem business is kicking my butt mentally.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
VintageTwin

Marking Emblem Position

Post by VintageTwin »

Set the pre-bent emblem on the tank with mount strip connected by the screws. Make all the tweaks necessary to make the emblem and mount srtip hug the tank as best as is possible. You don't want the "n" to be sticking out in mid air, or the "H" on the left tank to do the same. Mark an outline of the emblem on the tank.
VintageTwin

Mark the screw hole positions

Post by VintageTwin »

I made two repeat divots carefully in exactly the same spot on each of the three markers, to make sure I can find the marks after I shoot a few coats of coat of primer on it. Then I'll apply tiny masking tape circles over the divots before I topcoat it....I think. I'm just making this up as I go along. Any suggestions as to how I can not lose my marks?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

These pix are out of sequence, but you can figure out the order of procedure. The ascenders and desenders of the Harely-Davidson name need to be bent slightly to hug the tank. Use a rag or paper over the letters and bend with Channel-Locks? carefully. No crimp. You can feel and hear it crackle as the're bent.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

The outline of it. I taped the divots off and gave them four coats of spray can primer. You can still see the divot (plus the one that jumped and smacked another place on the tank). So, a divot will still be visable once it's primered with DP-90.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VintageTwin

'59-60 OEM Tanks

Post by VintageTwin »

Sure would be nice to have the tanks made with the emblem indentions. Pat Kennedy used to indent emblems into tanks. A lost art now.
Whadda'bout this company "Zel"? Anyone know any info about them? They've been re-popping tank and fender brackets for a long time. 8)

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”