whats a 8 X 32 selftapping screw look like?

neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

whats a 8 X 32 selftapping screw look like?

Post by neilw »

I'm going to put the rear fender tip on my 59 pan but it says use 8x32 self tapping screws ..I know what nachine srews look like ,but do the self tapping ones look spiralish like wood screws? I know what self taping screws look like on cars ,but want to be sure I dont loose the tip..
Neil
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: whats a 8 X 32 selftapping screw look like?

Post by john HD »

neil,

your hunch is correct. self tapping screws may hold. if you want to make sure you won't loose your fender tip you may want to use machine screws with lock washers instead.

otherwise, you could always upset the threads on a self tapper after installation.

just be careful when changing your tires so you don't snag some hide on your hand!

john
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

Post by neilw »

Thanks John ,I'm goning to take your advise ,plus a little dap of locktite .
Neil
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

John!

The '59 "eaglebeak" potmetal trim had the screw come from under the fender, so it is a bit safer.

Neil!

I suggest pre-tapping the holes in any diecast trim.
This will allow conventional machine screws to be used, (probably more safely than OEM design!) and yes, a threadlocker is a real real good idea. It will also provide a dielectric insulator against corrosion that is such a problem with metals that are not friendly with each other.

(You may also wish to grind the point off of a plug tap if you do not have a proper bottoming tap to follow it, so you can go just a sweet bit deeper.)

A 'self-tapping' machine screw is one that has its lead threads slashed to give them the ability to cut their own threads in a soft material, like potmetal. This was just one step on the slippery slope of shortcuts that evolved to make later models disposable,... a process that did not become complete until after '84.

Hope that made sense,

...Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

cotten,

i was thinking of the sheet metal fender tip! your advice makes perfect sense for the pot metal tip.

john

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”