65 Panhead Fuel tanks

FlatSideShovel
Inactive member
Bikes: 1967 FLH, 1965 FLH

65 Panhead Fuel tanks

Post by FlatSideShovel »

First post for a new member, I have read lots of great info here. I just bought most of a 65 which I want to put back to mostly origional, I currently have a 67 ridden daily. I have a question on what fuel tanks were available back in the day. I have seen 65's with many fuel tanks installed, given that the correct tank has to have a top shut-off in the left tank which of these could be correct:
5 gallon foot shift
5 gallon jockey shift
5 gallon tank shift
3 1/2 gallon foot shift
3 1/2 gallon jockey shift
3 1/2 gallon tank shift
I know to be correct that it must be a top shut-off but I have seen all of these with the top shut-off. How many of these combinations were available from the factory and how many were put together by owners? Does anyone know? Thanks.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: 65 Panhead Fuel tanks

Post by Cotten »

FlatsideShovel!

Welcome!

I wasn't aware the Factory ever produced a "jockeyshift".
If you refer to the frame-mounted hand-shift, it came out in '66.

To the best of my knowledge,
Standard production was 3.5 gallon tanks with tank-shifts (same tank back to '63),
and the 5 gallon for foot-shifts.

It would seem logical that 3.5s without the tank gate could be assembled at the Dealer for footshifts,
however the Puristas would argue the 'point' unless you can produce an order blank with that combination.

(Perhaps forum member Chris Haynes can link us to one?)

.....Cotten
FlatSideShovel
Inactive member
Bikes: 1967 FLH, 1965 FLH

Post by FlatSideShovel »

Thanks Cotten,

Your answer seems the most logical and the one I expected, as I said I have seen all these combinations but most are probably home grown, I'm sure most people will agree with your answer.

Any idea on how many tank shift FLH's were delivered in 65?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Tank shift FLHs had 3.5 gallon tanks. There was no provision for tank shifts on '65 only 5 gallon tanks. And that is not a logical guess, it is published info in the parts books and sales literature. Cotton knows well, he has a '65 I believe! And the published production numbers do not differentiate between hand and foot shift for '65 so no way to tell how many handshift FLhs in '65.
Robbie
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

RUBONE wrote:Tank shift FLHs had 3.5 gallon tanks. There was no provision for tank shifts on '65 only 5 gallon tanks. And that is not a logical guess, it is published info in the parts books and sales literature. Cotton knows well, he has a '65 I believe! And the published production numbers do not differentiate between hand and foot shift for '65 so no way to tell how many handshift FLhs in '65.
Robbie
I've got a couple, and I would have three complete if the Dragonman hadn't committed a felony repair on one in the '80s.
(A middleman sent the cases to him... Doh!)

I have been looking for a set ever since.

...Cotten
PS: I just happen to have stumbled across my old registration recently: 65FLH13796
The numbers are genuine, but they were cut out and welded into other cases with the production numbers welded over. Mel Bernstein got off on the charges, and I lost my cases.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Cotten,
I am 3.5 hrs away from the Springs, my mother in law lives there. All along the front range as well as all over the southwest his reputation is S**T. But he continues to find the new and unaware and commits the same crap over and over. He must have made a pact with the devil, no other way as I see it!
Robbie
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Tom and Robbie, I’ve know that clown since he was on Long Island, NY. That’s thirty long years. He’s thief, a liar and nothing more than a human piece of SHIT! I sent him a set of pan heads in 85 for a simple repair. The UPS guy lost them off the truck. I can’t believe the authorities still allow him to operate. Bob L

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”