Primary cover for 1965

wheels
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Primary cover for 1965

Post by wheels »

anyone know where i can get a primary cover for my 65. i am looking for one for a fl that will work with my electric start. thanks, wheels
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Re: Primary cover for 1965

Post by panz4ever »

Wheels...yu lookin for the 65-69 primary cover...or one that will work with your 65. Second thing..you running stock type floorboards? I have an OEM 70 outer primary. Couple of dings but no cracks or nothing that couldn't be buffed out, Can send pics if you provide email
wheels
Inactive member

Post by wheels »

thanks, but i believe i need a 65-69 so i can use my electric start.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Wheels!

A correct '65 cover is a one-year-only item, sandcast with an inspection hole over the front compensator.
If authenticity is not a concern, most covers up through '84 will bolt up, but be certain it is machined for the starter shaft needle bearing. And has the footboard tab if that's important to you as well.

....Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I may be wrong, but I think the 65 cover was special in some way and I also think you will need the 65 -69 because of mounting for gen. motor cases at least as far as the inner , not sure about the outer or how much was changed between gen. and alt. set ups for the outer primary's , they have diff. part numbers in the catalogs.
Damn Cotten you are faster than greased lightning.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Cotten, that is what I was trying to get at. I let it slide because I assumed he wanted the one year only part. I ride an almost stock 65. Before posting message I checked to make sure the 70 outer would work, and it does.
Fourthgear, the inners changed but like Cotten said outtter remained same till 84. In the chopper days lot of folks would cut the tab off for the floor board mount.
Lstpan65
Inactive member

Post by Lstpan65 »

Bidding now Tues June 6. E-bay #4644808024, I see them on there about once a month, check out the foot board tab, says it "Professionaly repaired". Cotton is right about it being a one year deal. Mark
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Only the inspection plug and the ring around the 'derby' area should be polished. The rest should be rough cast with horrendous beltsander grind marks.
Not so long ago a polished cover was a bargain at $150. Now a pristine cover is probably three or four times that.
A '66 to '69 can be machined to accept the inspection plug, but it's blasphemy.

...Cotten

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”