Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Gas tanks leaking

Post by Skip »

Hey guys...opinion time...just paid $800. for paint job...put gas in tonight to start for the first time and noticed seepage around the neck...is there a way to coat the tanks with out screwing up the paint? bought kreeme...unsure of quality of product...any help would be very very appreciated...Skip
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Gas tanks leaking

Post by fourthgear »

skip
You will get mixed reviews on the Kreem product and I have gotten mixed results with the product my self thu out the years but mostly because of not prepping correctly. Mostly you want to use this product before painting but we know how that goes . I just did mine about three weeks ago because of rust , it kept coming back to clog my strainer filter and man them there HD's just don't wanna start without gas getting to the carb, go figure. The tank conditioner will remove paint slicker than a blow torch and faster too. It can be done , just be careful as hell and you can wrap the tanks and seal the out side to lessen the chance of getting anything on them (hopefully )It looks like they make a external Tank mask just so you don't mess them up.Good luck.
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Re: Gas tanks leaking

Post by Skip »

Thanks for the response...chickened out ...read too many bad articles...found a shop that all but said they would not hurt the paint...they were more worried about scratches...I guess I will know in about 3 days...yea when I first got my panhead I had trouble starting it...and an old timer told me then if a pan gets fire and gas it will start and run...my problem then was too much gas...Thanks again Skip.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”