Gas tank removal

59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Gas tank removal

Post by 59Panman »

I put a new cable on my throttle spiral and now need to pull the gas tank off to get to the throttle cable clamp under the right side tank. My question is, after removal of the front tank mounting bolts both top and bottom, how do you get to the bolts at the rear of the tank. Also, what about the bolt above the Linkert carb? This throttle clamp has become a pain in the ass.

Thank you,

Forgot to mention it is a 59FLH.

ozwick
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Gas tank removal

Post by mbskeam »

hello,

pull the pin that holds the seat to the pogo, then lift up till you can get to the nut /bolt that is holding your tank at the bottom. use a bungee cord from the seat to the handle bars to hold the seat up, but don't push it to far as it might hit the tanks and chip your paint..
this is how I do mine .

mbskeam
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Thanks Mbskeam,

By the way, I am not sure whether or not the guy before me had the throttle cable routed correctly after it leaves the handle bars. Does the throttle cable go to the inside of the frame down tube at the front of the tank or does it route around the outside of the downtube and then on through the cable clamp?

Thanks,

ozwick
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

well....
the palmer book shows it going to the inside of the down tube, with a loop about 1-2" below the fork stop on the frame. just don't let the forks crush it between the trees and frame.

mbskeam

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”