1957 FLH paint scheme

Trey Bruggeman

1957 FLH paint scheme

Post by Trey Bruggeman »

I have a 57 FLH that has an interesting paint scheme that I cannot determine if it original or not. The front and rear fenders are all black and the tank is black with ivory white side panels (teardrop shaped) with a gold pinstripe outline. The tank emblem sits at the normal spot and is surrounded by this ivory with gold stripe teardrop. Was this a factory option paint scheme? I have not been able to find any listing of this scheme being offered in 57, yet I have seen other 57's with a similar scheme only in different color combinations. Perhaps it may be a police bike paint scheme??? Thanks for any help with this mystery.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: 1957 FLH paint scheme

Post by VintageTwin »

Pix of it?
Trey Bruggeman

Post by Trey Bruggeman »

Don't have any digital pics of mine to show, but I did see another one for sale that has a similar paint scheme

As I mentioned earlier, mine is all black (no white on the fenders) with the exception of the ivory teardrop on the tank sides. What do you think, is this an optional/special factory paint scheme or aftermarket?
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Looks police. Looks good with the round tank badge.
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

I don't think your's is a factory paint scheme. The black option for 1957 had red tank panels and the panels should cover the whole side of the tank and extend round the front. There should not be a pin stripe. Your's may be a police colour scheme ( the factory police bikes were all over silver), or just somebody's idea of what looks good. I bet it does look good too, but I may be biased as my '59 is black with white tank panels. :)
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I agree with Duo-Dave, No Pinstripe, & the Pepper Red & Black was a 57 option. The paint wrapped around as Dave said. A while back I finished a 57 Total resto for an ungrateful Witch....................................................... That's another story.. >:(
At least it made it into the magazine,
"In The Wind" June 2004 Reader's Rides.

Sounds like a nice looking 2 tone job though!!!

Plumber: 57 had the red & gold round tank badge,
& 58 had the Black & Gold round tank badge
Only 2 years w/round Tank badges. & only differences were their coloring of them. Easy to tell them apart.

Info for 1957

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”