rust inside of gas tank

doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

rust inside of gas tank

Post by doc308 »

What is a good method or product to use to get rid of rust inside of an old gas tank?
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by oldbob »

Doc
Vinger will eat rust , Put small nut's and bolt's or what ever in your tank, small rocks work too and vineger. Vinger is a weak asid that will eat rust fairly fast and steel slower. Shake turn , shake turn to cover all sides of the tank. 24 to 48 Hr. should get rid of all the rust. Then use nut.s and bolt.s and soapy water and shake the crap out of it till tank is good and clean. Then decide to use or not use a good tank sealer.

Robert
1950 Bobber

Cleaning rust from tank.

Post by 1950 Bobber »

1) Old tried do-it-yourself method is to put a handfull of ball bearings in the tank...wrap it up WELL in a blanket or similar and put it on a slow tumble dry in your dryer.

2) Research a good radiator shop...they do this work.

OR:

3) Google search and investigate a rust removing liquid specifically for gas tanks....they are on the market; I think Walneks used to have an advertisement for such 8)

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I tried the "Rusteco" solution once.

There is no substitute for mechanical action; Aquarium gravel is safe and effective, and a slurry of cracked corn and baking soda works best for flushing out abrasives and neutralizing acids.

....Cotten
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

has anyone tried this stuff? They make some impressive claims

mike

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Tank-Sealers_c_7-1-0.html
1950 Bobber

Removing rust!

Post by 1950 Bobber »

OR to expand on my first post....use a box of BB's/ball bearings, Cotten's stated material, and any other myriad of material. Take off the petcock and tape the opening closed. As previously stated....wrap the tank in a big comforter or heavy blanket, then stuff it in the dryer. Pack blankets around the tank so it would not move, then turned the drier on with NO HEAT. Let it run and enjoy a couple of beers or soda pop, whatever quenches your thirst!!! No solvents, no standing there shaking it till your arms fall of.

Also, another solution.....

Try muratic acid and water mixed 5 to one . Let it soak then rinse out with
soapy water.

OR...

Por-15 has a specific gas tank sealer system.

http://www.por15.com/bSPECIAL-Quart-...2&category=180 ...Follow directions and use plenty of the sealer.

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
hogboy52
Bikes: 52FL, 62 BMW R60

Post by hogboy52 »

I had an ancient oil bag that needed a good cleaning so I went through the chains, gravel, soap, acid etc. and it looked OK what I could see through the neck, but I thought I would try electrolysis on it.
I filled it with a water-washing soda mix, took a steel rod with duct tape wrapped round the end, stuck it down the neck of the oil bag and hooked it to a one-amp charger. A rusty brown foam oozed out the neck for over two days.
Electrolysis works remarkably well on all sorts of rusty parts without any great physical effort or expensive chemicals.
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Post by Ripley/Fla »

Not sure about heavy rust, but I have used Coca-Cola to clean out tanks. Tilt it up, fill it to the brim, and let it sit overnight.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

look here...viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4723

mbskeam
1950 Bobber

Excellent...

Post by 1950 Bobber »

Thanks Mike....

The COMPLETE SKINNY on that subject...what more needs' be said?

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”