leaking tank

hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

leaking tank

Post by hjans »

Hi there
I have a leakage in my tank. When i fill her up more then 2/3 , it starts to drip on the engine. I think between both tank-halfs. Probarely at a place where the middle plate is welded at the curved outer tank part.
What would be the best way to repaire it ? Any method of welding ok ?

Thanks
VT

Post by VT »

Dry ice in the tanks (releasing carbon dioxide) may avert an explosion. I'd take it to someone that heli-arcs fuel tanks on a daily basis. A automobile radiator shop might be able to help locate such a person.
rrhawg
Bikes: 59 Pan, 65 Pan, 45 Wl, 46 UL, 41 Chief, 48 Chief, 50 Chief, 53 Hummer, 53 Simplex, and misc. others

Post by rrhawg »

I've had good luck using a flux coated brazing rod. Dry ice or a nitrogen purge works well, or I've just stuck a garden hose in the tank and flushed it out then brazed it and never had a problem. I have tig welded them also but I've seen them want to spider web crack after, since I started using the brazing method I have not had a problem.
Rich
cory
Bikes: *

Post by cory »

I've used a mig and a tig in the past. You could braze it too, but my painter guy says it's hard for body putty and paint to stick to braze?? I dunno about that one.
As for prepping the tank, just run a hose into the tank off of your car exhaust pipe for about 10-15 minutes.
If you have your tank lined, any type of welding will make a mess of it. You'd have to have it re-lined. You could also give JB Weld a try.
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

tank leak

Post by 108 »

Pull up the speedo and cluster, seat, etc. and see if you can see the leak. If its very slow and in a stable place(like not at the edge of a mount bracket weld) with enough room around the crack? for bond area (3/8" minimum) lower the fuel away from the leak, clean it well and use JB Quick. It can save a ton of work , I've fixed leaks like this 2 or 3 times. Filler/paint will stick to brass just fine. But you have to remove every bit of the transparent melted flux first, a wire brush wont do you'll often have to chisel it off!

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”