Tin inner primary to oil tank mount problem

keiser

Tin inner primary to oil tank mount problem

Post by keiser »

I have a 60 pan, original engine, correct frame, 1960 tranny, correct oil tank, and correct tin inner primary. The tin inner is bolted to the engine and the frame (rear lower mount) no problem. All looks good. The primary chain looks to be running straight and the inner tin is straight.

The problem I have is that the upper rear mount hole is a bit on the low side to mount up to the tank and the tank tab is about 1/2 inch in from the tin inner. There is no way to move the inner in that 1/2 inch. It is almost against the shifter connection on the tranny as is. If I did move it in 1/2 inch, the innner would not be sitting straight but would be bent at the rear. The oil tank is centered in the frame and looks correct. There is only a small amount of play on it. All oil tank mounting pieces are original equipment.

Is this normal or not? How would you mount this upper up?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by keiser on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

pics help us all. A pic saves on our "daily mental ram allotment" in problem-solving. Sounds like you have a misplaced inner tin mount, but it's a blind-guess.
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

When putting an aftermarket inner on my 56 a few years back I ran into the same situation. There is a inner primary mounting kit avaliable that comes with a spring which is about 1/2" long. It goes between the inner primary tab and the oil bag tab. I put flat washers on each side when I bolted mine up.
This results in a "floating mount" at that location. The 3 bolts holding the inner primary to the engine do most of the work
The kit comes with a pre-drilled mounting bolt and cotter key, but I used a nylon locking nut. No problems for 7k. -Steve
keiser

Post by keiser »

Added a picture for clarity.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

This is what mine looks like. It has the correct mounting hardware.
Is your inner primary case touching the tranny? If not, is the primary bent where it attaches to the motor? Oil tank tab bent?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

The photo that 51hog has is how it's supost to look. Is this oil tank or inner after market? A 1/2" is way off. PorkO's garbage is good for this type of fit. If the bottom tab on the inner meets the frame. It's the oil tanks fault. Bob
keiser

Post by keiser »

Oil tank is stock HD and so is inner tin which is very straight. The inner is against the shifter arm coming off the tranny, so it can't move in toward tank any further and the inner bolts to the frame on the bottom just fine.

51Hog, is your oil tank exactly centered in the frame?
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

That weld on the inner primary tab in 51's picture more than likely came from someone not having the spring installed on the bolt. I have welded several and had people install the spring after wards. Both upper and lower bolts should have a spring.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

PanPal wrote:That weld on the inner primary tab in 51's picture more than likely came from someone not having the spring installed on the bolt. I have welded several and had people install the spring after wards. Both upper and lower bolts should have a spring.
That is exactly what happened to the tabs. If you look closely, you will see that it is cracked again.
I am going to repair it again when I install the belt kit in the primary this weekend. :-)

The Oil tank is centered in my frame. Below are some pics showing the relationship of my tranny, oil tank and frame to each other. Hope this helps, and that you can see it through the dirt. Been putting on the miles.... :-)
Dale
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Yep, that's an OE inner prime with the sling guard :!: Nice to see that the OE front muffler clamp looks bent-to-custom-correct positioning, like my repop assembly. Good pics.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

If you compare the mounting tab on Kaiser's inner primary to the one on 51's you'll see a 1/2" difference in where they are fastened to the cover. Could the tab have been replaced on Kaiser's to the wrong location?
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Post by doc308 »

As a possible fix, you could try to use slightly shorter spacers where you bolt the oil tank to the frame.
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Post by doc308 »

Oops--I misread the problem. I originally thought that the oil tank hole was higher that the primary mounting hole. Sorry!
keiser

Post by keiser »

Panacea wrote:If you compare the mounting tab on Kaiser's inner primary to the one on 51's you'll see a 1/2" difference in where they are fastened to the cover. Could the tab have been replaced on Kaiser's to the wrong location?
Sharp eye!! I had not noticed that.

51hog - Did you reweld the tab on farther back?

I am really sure my inner is stock 58-64. When I bought I was told it came off an early 60's Pan and I have no reason not to believe the guy I got it from. I suppose it is possible that it was an aftermarket inner.

Anybody else that has a late model tin primary Pan check their upper tab and see if mine is in the right place?

Appreciate all the help guys!!

Post by Guest »

Can't seem to get photos to post here with out a fight. I went out to the shop floor and got a orignal one out of the crate. This off a 58 and the top braket is in from the inside of the cover about an 1/2" and this cover has never been repaired. Also looked at the one off my 48 and it's the same thing. Mind you this is the same for the upper and lower rear brackets. Bob

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”