How to remove 1964 oil tank

64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

How to remove 1964 oil tank

Post by 64duo »

I'm stuck. Taking everything off the bike to get to some needed small fixes, (ok, nothing ever stays small). I'm trying to remove the stock oil bag and I just can't figure how to get it out of the bike. Removed all the attachment bolts, and the battery hold down rods, but its just too tight, the seat post part of the frame, seems to be kinda holding things in place not allowing for an easy sideways slide out. Am I gonna have to remove rear fender to get alittlee extra room on the rear side? Neither the Clymer or HD service manuals even cover the oil tank, or maybe I need some glasses. Anyone been here before? I could use some help. Thanks in advance.
Jonathan
stockPan
Inactive member
Bikes: 1964 Duo-Glide

Re: How to remove 1964 oil tank

Post by stockPan »

Hi Jonathan,

Not sure if you've made any progress, but you will have to remove the rear fender, or have someone pull it back just enough for clearance, as the tank to seat post brkt stops you from conveniently sliding the tank out, this will give you the needed room to shift the tank back, then you'll have to tilt the tank forward and then remove.

good luck
Andrew
wheels
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Re: How to remove 1964 oil tank

Post by wheels »

i have a 65 and i know its different but i bent one of those tabs and got mine off without taking the rear fender off.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”