NOS and/or exact reproduction fuel tanks

Sausage

NOS and/or exact reproduction fuel tanks

Post by Sausage »

This is for a restoration project:

Does anyone know where I can find brand new either NOS or Exact reproductions of 1958 or 1960/61 foot shift specific fuel tanks of which MUST have the welded badge emblem attachment points and recesses?

I am wanting to know if there is a firm who offers replacement reproductions of the genuine Duo-Glide fuel/gas tanks just like bbreprocuctions offers the "Royalite" saddlebags.

http://www.bbreproductions.com

Thank You again.
dj

Re: NOS and/or exact reproduction fuel tanks

Post by dj »

Nobody makes repros with the correct recesses to my knowledge. Seems like a lot to tool up for all the different years. Occassionally very good original sets can be had. [edit] maybe, maybe, maybe you can find NOS, but they'd be up on ebay going on auction for $5500, or so. [/edit]
I would rather have a restorable original set than repro anyway. I have both. A great set of repos with no emblems on the bike and the 59-60 originals and emblems that I don't have time to mess with right now. I think you should go with used OEM on a restoration.

my 2.3338 centavos.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

Sir:

Understood fully! Thank You!

Check out what this black oem muffler commanded!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dios Mio!
Rainjester

Post by Rainjester »

$3,167 bucks! Ouch... some people just have too much money laying around.......

jester-
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by weezeo »

I bought a set of 3 1/2 's that were repo's from V-Twin, with the shut off up top by left side gas cap, the brass knob. very nice fit price was $350.00 +- check their vintage section out.
The catalog is free I think.......Good Luck
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

For DJ and other members of this great board:

I have in hand a brand new NOS set of genuine HD 1963 to 1964 foot shift fuel tanks in factory primer.

Do you know of an AMC familiarized Duo-Glide restoration Painter?

Very Important:

Do you know if HD offered 5 gallon fuel tanks on the 1964 Duo-Glides?

I use the Field and Palmer referance material extensively. I can only find where 1965 was the first year HD offered the 5 gallon "Interstate" fuel tanks in lieu of the little 3.75 fuel tanks. It is believed that in 1965 the 3.75 fuel tanks were standard for tank shift models and or special order. I own a 1958 and 1964 HD Accessory Catalog of which I see no 5 gallon Tanking as an option during either year. I also wonder if the Police Duo-Glides were offered with larger capacity fuel tanking.

Thank You again.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

As far as a painter, are you in the Midwest? I know one dependable outfit just south of Chicago.

Dependable painters are like honest politicians.

Without some unique documentation (lotsa coffee-table books and pulp rags repeat barroom legends), fat tanks on a '64 will always be "faulted".
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

Hi Cotten:

I am based in Everett, Washington state close to Seattle.

I am interested in having a paint set of either 1963 or 1964 in the HD "Hi-Fi" colors of which I just now found out requires a special Hi-Fi undercoat-Dupont item numbered 166-8026 as seen on page 513 in the Palmer Restoration manual. In addition, the color write page listed below:

http://www.gis.net/~schmoo/optional.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

has the color "Samoan Coral" as a 1964 option. I own a pint of this 1964 Ford/Mercury color coded "L" similar to a pastel Salmon if you will however HD nor the owner of the above mentioned web site can establish if there was an HD color code for this paint. 1958 HD offered the color "Tropical Coral" of which I have two genuine HD full pints however after four years of research I found out that the "Tropical Coral" was only a "Singles" color hence a HD Hummer, scooter color. It seems like I must use a period specific color if I am going to do a AMC qualified restoration FLH. I really wanted to do a Coral FLH.

Cotten:
Very Important. Do the Tank/Hand shift Duo-Glide FLH's tend to bust up left side fuel tank paint? I have never seen a Duo-Glide tank shift in the flesh so I am only speculating.

Respectfully. Sausage.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

like this?......
beam_port.jpg
mbskeam

just down the road from you in Sultan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

Nice!

Cool web page too!

I know of Sultan and have ridden there along the raod that hugs the River. I think its called the Benson road. Awesome tour!
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,

ah yes, the Ben howard road........
gota watch out for the gravell on that road.
nothing says butt pucker, untill you start to have the ass end go out at a 45 deg. angle in a curve. and you get to practice your cross it up skills, I guess all those years riding off road did mean something. still have that beast 1978 yamy TT500
Is your bike up? or are you getting this one going(project)
mbskeam
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

I bought a set with the shut off up top from V-twin and they work fine as far as the shut off rod lining up and not leaking mine don't have the indent for the tank shift I use slap shift. but if you don't mind tedd or V-twin he got it and I like his stuff, personally. I been dealing with him for over 25 years now and always liked the fellow.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”